Need help sexing a few ~4-5 month olds

Oh no! I was hoping at least the one darker easter egger was a hen!

I'll grab pictures of the rest of the flock tomorrow just to be sure the rest are hens--they should be, they were all pullets. The 5 posted were the only straight runs--what luck!

Someone's laying eggs already so at least I have one hen....

Do you think the grey (first one) and the white/black easter egger could coexist, or would it stress the hens out too much?
How many hens do you have for them and how big is their coop+run?

How many hens do you have for them and how big is their coop+run?
Well since I have the 5 roosters that only leaves 7 hens. I had planned to have about 12 hens, so I’ll likely raise some more chicks, I’m just not sure if I want to do that now or next spring.

Their coop is 60 sq ft and the run is 240 sq ft.
7FF78180-859F-4A58-B8B6-D2B64A8989B5.jpeg

Agreed, I would only keep one cockerel in that space also. If you plan to free range at all and they will have a larger area to roam during the day, you could expand your flock of hens and have two roos (not every roo will coexist with another peacefully, but many will if there are enough hens and enough space). The general recommendation is about 10 hens per roo, that number can be slightly lower or slightly higher depending on the birds themselves, it's not set in concrete, but that is a good starting place.

All are male.
Can you post pics of the rest of the flock so we can be sure they’re females?
Here is the rest of the flock this morning. Hard to get good photos of them all--they swarm me because I'm the treat guy.

These were all marked as pullets.

IMG_7230.jpg IMG_7231.jpg IMG_7232.jpg IMG_7233.jpg IMG_7235.jpg IMG_7237.jpg IMG_7238.jpg IMG_7239.jpg

I know I have at least two hens, as there were 2 more eggs this morning!

I would only keep one cockerel in that ratio/space.

Agreed, I would only keep one cockerel in that space also. If you plan to free range at all and they will have a larger area to roam during the day, you could expand your flock of hens and have two roos (not every roo will coexist with another peacefully, but many will if there are enough hens and enough space). The general recommendation is about 10 hens per roo, that number can be slightly lower or slightly higher depending on the birds themselves, it's not set in concrete, but that is a good starting place.

Great, thanks a bunch! I think I'll keep one and get rid of 4---I'm leaning towards the olive egger since he's in charge right now anyways--but the light easter egger is really cool looking too!

I'll be adding some more to bring the flock up to 12-13 birds total, but most likely will be a process in raising new chicks etc. so it'll be a while before they're all out there together.

Hi all. This is my first time having chickens and while I didn't intend on having any roosters, I figured if I had one it would be okay..

Well, I'm pretty sure I wound up with 4 (out of 12 total!)

Here are some photos:

This one I'm pretty sure is a rooster--he crows and tends to be the leader of the flock. He's always the one breaking up any fights, and he puts himself between the flock and whatever has them flustered (usually me.) He is an olive egger, but I'm not sure exactly what breed.
View attachment 2774965

Next is an easter egger. I think she's a hen, I've never heard her crow, and she seems to mix with the rest of the ladies. I also don't see any saddle feathers.
View attachment 2774966View attachment 2774967

Next is another easter egger--We thought it was going to be a hen based off of light color as a chick, but as they started growing, I always felt like he was a rooster. I have never heard him crow, but he is about 2 weeks younger than the rest of the flock. He's also off on his own far more than any of the other birds, and has been that way since they were chicks.
View attachment 2774972View attachment 2774973

I can't tell if those are saddle feathers or not.

And here are the two polish that I know are roosters.
View attachment 2774974View attachment 2774975
They both crow and are absolute terrorists--ever since they were chicks they'd always sprint around causing problems. One of them will mount the ladies right in front of me--until the olive egger roo comes over and breaks them up.

Since I'm here--I think 4 roosters (assuming my sexing is correct) is too many for a flock of 12 total--and the two polish have both pecked the back of eachothers heads nearly clean--they're totally bald on the back of their heads. Nobody else has any feather damage.

I'm assuming I should probably just get rid of those two--would the other two be fine with 8-10 hens? I don't think I could cull them myself, so I'll probably try to give them away for free.

Thanks!!
I have heard and read on articles that if you are able to watch how fast their combs grow you will be able to determine the gender of the chicken

Back
Top Bottom