Need help sexing my RIRs (lots of pics)

LaurasLorps

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Arkansas
Hello, I have two, 2 month old RIRs (or something similar...they are feed store chicks so you never know). Anyhow, they both have small combs and wattles which would suggest pullets, but I have noticed they are starting to get in some feathering that looks awfully rooster-like. I'm still a chicken newbie, so I need your opinions!

RIR chick #1: For 2 months, the comb/wattles look pretty small.

RIR chick #1: But the neck feathers are starting too look kind of pointy, especially compared to some of the other pullet breeds.

RIR Chick #1: and here are some tail feathers. With the way the are starting to curl downwards, they look a bit like saddle feathers to me.

RIR chick #1: Full body shot

Now on to the next suspect.

RIR chick #2: Again small comb, but the neck feathers are looking a little weird.

RIR Chick #2 the tail feathers curling

RIR Chick 2: full body shot. This chick has kind of a weird scraggly thing going on all over.

R

RIR chick #2: another full body shot

And just for fun, here are my buff orpingtons. They are 2.5 months old and I am quite sure there are pullets.

Buff #1

Buff #2

So what do you think? are my RIRs boys or girls.

Hello, not an expert, but I think both your RIRs are pullets. Two years ago i purchased 2 RIRs from our feed store.....they feathered in funny also.

Thanks everyone! I'm glad the consensus is pullet. I've never had RIRs before, so their feathering really threw me off.

Last edited:
Just got my first RIRs and was told they were pullets. They are about 6 weeks old (said the man whom sold them to me). They look very similar to yours. the RIR is in background on one of the Araucanas is in the foreground. What do you think about the sex of mine?

Just got my first RIRs and was told they were pullets. They are about 6 weeks old (said the man whom sold them to me). They look very similar to yours. the RIR is in background on one of the Araucanas is in the foreground. What do you think about the sex of mine?

You should start your own thread with pictures of these guys from the side, but my guess is RIR pullet. Easter Egger cockerel (just based on the coloring in that picture)

So glad to hear about the pullets!! They are lovely birds! I was watching this post because mine look JUST like these and I was worried they were roos.

Thank you. I have been worried about the Aracuana being a rooster as well. I bought them as pullets, but you never know.

Back
Top Bottom