Need help sexing these chickens please

Monoyasha

Hatching
6 Years
May 14, 2013
I picked up a batch of mixed bantam chicks at a local tractor supply back in march and they are now 11 weeks old. we already asumed 2 out the original 6 are male. One is a white and black Cochin named Chocobo and the other i think a dutch bantam or one of the smaller sized breeds.

This morning I caught 2 more of my chickens crowing with these guys but i thought they were hens? could you help be figure out what they are as i cant keep any crowing birds.
One is a black Cochin named Onyx and the other is a black frizzle Cochin names Frizz

Please help me as i really would hate to find these chicks a new home. As you can see they all are very social pets and love being held and feed meal worms for treats.

I'm new to cochins--just got a few myself this year--but if you caught them crowing...

The black one seems to have a bigger and deeper red comb than the frizzle in your photos. Is that true? I've heard their combs and wattles won't be THAT red until just before laying if girls. Maybe wait a week to see if you get an egg. Otherwise, I'd say they're roos, but would wait just a bit more for the frizzle if its comb isn't as big/deep red.

Like I said though, I'm very new to this.

Your first bird is a male Silver Duckwing OEGB. The others are Cochins, and are all little dudes. They'll all take turns crowing. For some reason cochin males aren't shy about sprouting combs early. The females keep small, flesh colored combs right up until they decide to start laying, then they sprout combs.

thank you so much for the help! yet its very sad news as this mean i only keep 1 out of my 6 original bantam pack T-T will be posting in the for sale section soon to find them homes

the photos make the black cochins combs look more red than they really are. In person the white/blk male has a bright cherry red color while the others have a more dull pink red coloring. they are only 11 weeks old so i dont think any are ready for laying anytime soon as far as the books say but i could be wrong.

the photos make the black cochins combs look more red than they really are. In person the white/blk male has a bright cherry red color while the others have a more dull pink red coloring. they are only 11 weeks old so i dont think any are ready for laying anytime soon as far as the books say but i could be wrong.

No you aren't wrong. Cochins are a breed that take their sweet time to start laying. 26 weeks isn't unusual for them.

Cochin roos can be pretty quiet and they can also get along with other roos they have been raised with. I currently have two and they are the sweetest in my flock.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom