Need help sexing these EE's

Thats another thing! As babies, they had the look of EE’s, and that’s what I was told they were. But their legs are very clean yellow and zero feathers. Am I going about this all wrong?
Not all EE have feathered legs, mine do not.
But tell tail signs are little beards (although not all have these either) and colored legs.
My little EE legs vary from a green to a grayish blue, to black.

I have pics of my 4 EEs posted for sexing too. Yours chicks dont look as confusing to me. Im definitely no expert, and i hope im wrong too. My guess is all boys :(

I have pics of my 4 EEs posted for sexing too. Yours chicks dont look as confusing to me. Im definitely no expert, and i hope im wrong too. My guess is all boys :(

I just saw your pics and yours do look like little pullets. Mine never really had any light coloring like yours do. They've been pretty dark since the beginning. So confusing lol.

I just saw your pics and yours do look like little pullets. Mine never really had any light coloring like yours do. They've been pretty dark since the beginning. So confusing lol.
Yes, up to 8-10 weeks the peep gender guessing makes me nuts! My peeps seem to look different every time i check in on them. yellow comb to pink comb, back to yellow comb! Standing taller, then staying low to ground. Bold, then scared...ugh! I like to remove roos as early as possible to get the flock and bonding settled quickly. I kept a roo a bit too long once and when i rehomed him finally, one of my hens started crowing and acted pure roo for over a month! May be coincidence, but i dont chance it anymore. Hopefully by 12 weeks all will be absolute

Yes, up to 8-10 weeks the peep gender guessing makes me nuts! My peeps seem to look different every time i check in on them. yellow comb to pink comb, back to yellow comb! Standing taller, then staying low to ground. Bold, then scared...ugh! I like to remove roos as early as possible to get the flock and bonding settled quickly. I kept a roo a bit too long once and when i rehomed him finally, one of my hens started crowing and acted pure roo for over a month! May be coincidence, but i dont chance it anymore. Hopefully by 12 weeks all will be absolute

I agree. I can wait a bit longer to see if any more stark differences emerge between the group. I'm lucky in that I already have a place to ship these off to if they are cockerels, but I don't want to accidentally ship off any hens before I need to.

But still...there's more saying cockerels than hen now. What bad luck.

OK. My group of four EE's were a straight run group. I actually got them from a local classified that had chickens running loose on their property and was just giving away all the little chicks she could find. So first off, I'm pretty sure these are EE's, please correct me if I'm wrong.

The chicks are now about 6-7 weeks old, maybe a bit more. And I'm having a devil of a time figuring out what they are. If this is still too early to tell, let me know and I'll repost in mid-June if I still can't decide. Also, these are the best pics I can get at the moment. The birds are in a very flighty phase right now. They'll approach after some time, but aren't thrilled about being picked up like they used to be. I don't want to stress them out and chase them and grab them for a simple photo. So I lay some fresh food out and take what I can get while they're in this stage.

Chicken #1
Name: Stoopid
Traits: Not the brightest of the bunch. Seriously. Can't figure out how to get in and out of an open run like the rest can. Always trying to just 'phase' through the wire mesh to get with her siblings. Very mild mannered otherwise, though a bit flighty when approached.
My thoughts: I'm thinking Stoopid is a hen. Even though all birds have some copper in them, the patterning seems to be a bit more consistent with this one.
View attachment 2145600

Chicken #2
Name: Cabron(a)
Traits: Definitely a bit omore assured of his or herself. Often playfights exclusively with #3. Has the second largest, and darkest, comb of the four.
My thoughts: I'm hopeful could be the lead hen, but wouldn't be surprised if this turned into a cockrel.
View attachment 2145601

Chicken #3
Name: Bully
Traits: Has the most red/bronze of all the chicks. Definitely always trying to be the leader in everything. Will often challenge #2. Very self-assured, not nearly as flighty, but definitely has no time for my jibber-jabber. Just wants food and to be left alone. Also has the most developed and reddened comb of the group.
My thoughts: I'm thinking with the red coming in that this could be the cockrel of the bunch. I'm a bit confused though because the red is coming in somewhat of a pattern, not as splotchy as other EE cockrels I've seen here.
View attachment 2145604

Chicken #4
Name: Blondie
Traits: The most mellow of the group. Only runs away from me to stay with the pack. But when I close myself in the coop and just hang out, she's not very bothered by my presence.
My thoughts: I'm pretty sure this is a hen (but I've been wrong guessing here more than I've been right lol). Has the least amount of comb of any of them, and has pretty even patterning throughout. But again, has some of that bronze that they all do. Please don't tell me I'm raising four cockerels here. Please.
View attachment 2145610

Finally, here's a quick shot of them all together. From left to right, the numbers are 2, 4, 3, 1. 3's coloring really stands out here to me. Any help would be appreciated!

View attachment 2145613
there is a group on FB just for sexing Easter Eggers, they can most probably help you out if you are interested their page is called Pullet or Cockerel?! Easter Egger Chicken Gender Guru

Back
Top Bottom