Need help sexing these three chicks

autumnmfisher

Songster
7 Years
Jun 11, 2012
North East, PA
ok, these were born 7/1/15. so they are 7 weeks old now.
Father is black shoulder. I only have one male.
Mother could be any of the following but I have thoughts on this: ib pied, ib loud pied, bs and purple bs.
Clearly I think the mother of the bs chicks is one of the bs hens, the ib chick I think is the ib pied, since it doesn't look pied at all (no white flights) and I think with the loud pied it'd have more of a chance of being pied...
ok lots of picts, hopefully this helps.
I'm leaning toward them all being male. but what I'm worried about is the bs looking chicks changing and showing regular ib as it gets older... but figure that would show by now...
oh and one of the bs is already showing color on the neck, looked green and like the hens feathers, not like the males neck feathers yet, not sure when that changes.
THANKS GUYS!!!

ok, these were born 7/1/15. so they are 7 weeks old now.
Father is black shoulder. I only have one male.
Mother could be any of the following but I have thoughts on this: ib pied, ib loud pied, bs and purple bs.
Clearly I think the mother of the bs chicks is one of the bs hens, the ib chick I think is the ib pied, since it doesn't look pied at all (no white flights) and I think with the loud pied it'd have more of a chance of being pied...
ok lots of picts, hopefully this helps.
I'm leaning toward them all being male. but what I'm worried about is the bs looking chicks changing and showing regular ib as it gets older... but figure that would show by now...
oh and one of the bs is already showing color on the neck, looked green and like the hens feathers, not like the males neck feathers yet, not sure when that changes.
THANKS GUYS!!!

This photo you can see the most difference between the two Black Shoulder peachicks. I would say the one on the left is a male and the Black Shoulder peachick on the right is the hen.

The Indian Blue peachick is a male. You have one male Black Shoulder peachick and one female Black Shoulder peachick I believe. Since I see that one Black Shoulder peachick has a dark black that goes in the shoulder, down the wing, and dark black feathers on the back. The other Black Shoulder peachick has more of a gray color on the wing in the center not so much on the shoulder.

Thanks :) I know the pictures are bad. only have the camera on my phone. actually the bs pea chicks look almost exactly the same, any differences are just my phone - plus I should have said that in the picts where they're roosted there's a window about a foot away from them on the right making the right chick bleach out a bit in the picts. I wish I'd had better pictures. but they were being hen raised and it was really hard to get close enough to get good picts. when I caught them yesterday I got scratched up really bad. them chicks are fighters!!! :) haha :)

Thanks :) I know the pictures are bad. only have the camera on my phone. actually the bs pea chicks look almost exactly the same, any differences are just my phone - plus I should have said that in the picts where they're roosted there's a window about a foot away from them on the right making the right chick bleach out a bit in the picts. I wish I'd had better pictures. but they were being hen raised and it was really hard to get close enough to get good picts. when I caught them yesterday I got scratched up really bad. them chicks are fighters!!! :) haha :)

That's why I have one of these to protect my arm from their claws. Leather brace with leather thread I tie a loop in to make a tether to hold the birds to me.

wish I had one of those, I usually wear a hoodie, but thought the chicks would be easier on me :)

but ya know what birdrain92. the lady didn't show up yesterday so I had to catch them again today for her. I looked at them closely for a long time. you are right, one of the bs is grey not black. its close, nothing I would have been able to see while they were running around, but the one has dark grey, not black and it doesn't go up the neck like the one with black. and the one with black has color already. I wanted to keep them at least another month so I was sure, but she wants to pick them up now. I'm gonna give her the best info ever because she wanted two males and a hen :) Good eye
clap.gif

wish I had one of those, I usually wear a hoodie, but thought the chicks would be easier on me :)

but ya know what birdrain92. the lady didn't show up yesterday so I had to catch them again today for her. I looked at them closely for a long time. you are right, one of the bs is grey not black. its close, nothing I would have been able to see while they were running around, but the one has dark grey, not black and it doesn't go up the neck like the one with black. and the one with black has color already. I wanted to keep them at least another month so I was sure, but she wants to pick them up now. I'm gonna give her the best info ever because she wanted two males and a hen :) Good eye
clap.gif
Hopefully she will come today. I've already had three people call and text setting up a pick up date and then they never show up. I wait a few days incase they were busy but they never show up. Thank you. This was my Black Shoulder peachick when she was 3 months old. Here's a link to a website that us pea owners here on BYC have donated pictures to http://peafowlimagedatabase.weebly.com/peachick-chart.html. Scroll down to the 8 weeks/2 months old and you can see the Black on a male Black Shoulder. When they are three months old you can definitely see some differences.
This is my Black Shoulder peahen Marshmallow when she was three months old. You can see how she has a charcoal gray on her back.
Up near the neck is a Charcoal gray.
This is Marshmallow now as a yearling.

thanks for the picts :) I have a three year old purple bs hen I raised from a chick but I never had a bs male from a chick for comparison. three years into this and sometimes I feel like I still don't know a thing :) she didn't show up. but she called yesterday later. so far nothing today. it erks me. these are living creatures.

in gonna try and get good pictures over the next few days and post them for comparison. next day she can pick them up is weds. if she doesn't call by then i'll call the next person on my list.

Back
Top Bottom