Need help sick chickens please!!!! long post!!! stopped laying!!!!

Quote:
Well you can try dusting, but since it has to be on the vertical wood it won't really work. The trick is getting in the cracks, the eyes of the wood. That's where the eggs are. At least dust and if you could get goat lice spray (permethrin) that stuff is awesome. Do you have some of that?

And you really do have to treat the coop. If you want to use sevin or (better yet) permethrin dust in the bedding, etc - yes please do. Hopefully the ivermectin will kill those on them, maybe they haven't eaten yet. Do you have anything like paint maybe? Or mineral oil? Something like that which you could use to paint the wood? (See where spraying seems easier).

Mites. Doesn't surprise me as they're very very hard to find. It surprises me more that you were able to! But I'm glad you did. They can really take birds down, though odd that they were yellow.

By the way, retreat twice at 7 day intervals for the hatching mites.

Itchy!A!

The mites are different. The lice on goats (we get those as I have goats) are similar but they're not such a pain as you can at least just dust birds and bedding, not have to do the wood. But they ARE devestating to poultry so look under their wings, etc. Make sure you keep those in control, too. (they're such a pain).

we will get on the treating the bedding and roosts tomorrow i will find something !!! i wish i would have had my camera it was tedious but so funny we had no way to mark the chickens we treated so the girls got their fingernail polish out and the ones we treated now have a hot pink toe (quick dry polish) hilarious !!!!!

Good job finding it!! I swear, those little buggers make the chickens uncomfortable enough to knock them off their laying. I usually find them just below the vent, and they scurry away from the light like cockroaches. Another sign that they're there is the little white clumps of "nits" - eggs - at the base of the feathers below the vent. I'm due for another treatment with Ivermectin.
Within a week you should start seeing more eggs again.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
WOOO ?hOOOOO everyone made it through the cydectin treatment fine no weird or strange behaviors and we have now treated all the coops and roosts and rebedded. What a huge job!!! But just a coincidence i think we got two more eggs seven total today which is great!!! I am tossing them to the piggies because of the meds but oh we are excited. We did the frozen water bottles in the waterers took the normal ones out and what a difference in this heat. The chickens are increasing their fluid intake and visiting the water more often which should help us in egg production I am sure. We have to switc the bottles after about six hours and it is a bit of a chore but I am impressed. Will have to update everyone after doing this for few more days if we see an increase in production and activity. Thank you everyone for your help with this we have learned a lot and hope to be back going strong soon.
smile.png

Quote:
Well, that's excellent progress! I'm very impressed by the increase in water intake, too! Nice. All good news.

Now just think - that's one less chore you'll have to do this year. Dust the birds in 7 and 14 days. I didn't do that this year and had to redust at 20 days which of course made me feel dumb.
tongue.png

Very nice!

Back
Top Bottom