Need Help Silkie Eggs

Littlemama327

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Clark County
So I got 7 Silkie eggs on the 9th of April and put them under my VERY BROODY Silkie. She's been taking VERY good care of them, but they've been outside in the nest box. I've been candling. We got rid of two in the beginning because they were not fertilized. That made 5, since then two have broken (unknown reasons). We now have 3 eggs, today is the 23rd day, it's 8:30pm. We brought mama and eggs into the house, they're in a nest in a dog kennel on my kitchen table, so I can monitor a little closer. We're feeling movement in only 1 eggs and some "crunching" sounds if you put your ear up close. I'm worried the other two aren't even alive. Also it's the 23rd day and I'm worried it's taking them too long. Is there anything I can do to help? I feel so helpless, we've already lost so many babies... Any advice would be much appreciated.

welcome-byc.gif

I'm sorry you are having a time with the eggs! I would not worry about the other two eggs, they don't all hatch at the same time. Being day 23, I would have been worried...but since you have a winner I would try not to worry, the mama chicken will do a wonderful job! Silkies are such good moms!! Good luck!
fl.gif
smile.png

How long do you wait? Is the crunching sound normal? No chirping or crack or holes in the eggs. How long does it usually take to hatch after you see the egg moving and weird crunching noises coming from the inside?

I worry because one of the ones that exploded got all over my silkie and the eggs (fetus looked like it was about 10 days), it was a mess to clean up and I worried about the others getting bacteria on them. Had to relocate inside. I just don't want that to happen again.

Is there like a magical number, like day 26 or something that you call it good?

I am trying to be just as patient with some dumb duck eggs! They are my dads and I want them to hatch sooo bad. With the silkie eggs - leave her and her clutch completely alone for the next three days. Make sure she has food and water but otherwise DND.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, Thank you. This will be the most frustrating 3 days of my life LOL. So if I hear chirping I know they hatched? So nerve racking, feel like they're my babies. Thanks for your help. Good luck with your duck eggs.

BTW - What is the crunching noise from inside the egg?

It is the chick breathing and moving around preparing to meet you! Even when you do hear chirping just look and don't touch. I know it is hard and I am a good one to talk but all three deserve a chance.

Back
Top Bottom