Need Help!! Single baby Hatched

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Braclin, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Braclin

Braclin KY Chicken Farmer

Jul 5, 2010
    Owingsville,KY
    Had a bad hatch. One single chick. Would it be ok to put some baby guineas in with him? Or is he better off on his own?

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Been there - - - this is what I did.

I started watching BYC postings, craigslist, and local chicken swaps. I found two more young chicks close to the age of my single hatchling. It took a couple of weeks because my single baby was hatched the traditional way and I left her with mom until the mom was tired of raising her. Then I had to find somebody with 2 month olds.

There are always people out there with young chicks. You only need a couple of more to make a nice group for later introduction.

Good Luck.

In the meantime, You can use a feather duster for the baby to hang out with until you get your hands on some other chicks.

3. Warfrost

Warfrost Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    Madera
    Chicks always do better when there is more than one- or you'll have the problem I did- it will imprint on YOU as Mom, and it will squawk to be picked up! lol- as cute and fun as it was, the squawking got very loud the bigger "Monkey" got- once I put her in with my young silkies, it was no problem! I think that the guineas would be ok, but if you can get regular chicks it might be a bit better. Good luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by