Need Help - Sour crop and tape worms?!?!?!?

RM44

Songster
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
Woodstock, Georgia
So I noticed for 2 days in a row that when I opened the coop door in the morning and filled the feeder, 10 of my birds run to the feeder (inside the coop) and one just goes out into the yard without eating. This is the same bird that had sour crop a few months ago. So today (2nd day of noticing no eating) I felt her crop and it was soft and squishy. I tipped her forward and the most disgusting fluid poured out (seemed like 1/2 a cup or more). I've done this before, so I was not alarmed. She's in a separate pen now with just water mixed with a little ACV.

However, when I tipped her up and she threw up, the other birds ran over and started pecking the ground in her throw-up. Before I could get her in a separate kennel, the girls had really pecked through the throw up (ewww). I noticed when I tipped the bird that she slung some of the throw up on me, and in it was a white worm with a red head, about 3/4 of an inch long with segmented body (I'm guessing tapeworm). I think it was inside her crop and I think that's what the other chickens were eating off the ground. I just went out and drained her again (3-4 hours after the first draining) and a few more 1/2 inch segments of worm came out in the drainage.

Is this common? Did the tapeworms cause the sour crop, or is it just 2 different problems that, by chance, happened at the same time? And will I have to use a chemical/medication to treat them, or can I use something natural like ACV and/or plain yogurt? Should I be concerned with the tapeworms first, or should I cure the sour crop, which can take days, and then medicate or treat for the tapeworms? ANd will I have to treat the rest of the flock too? How long will I have to wait before eating the eggs (I've read 1 week to 2 weeks)? What medications (if any) would you guys recommend?

intervectim will get them worms! I would do them all since they are together. Might have spelled that wrong.
hide.gif

As far as sour crop i know some do surgery. I am not familiar with that , sorry.

You need Valbazen (albendazole) to kill the tapeworms, it'll also kill other worms they might have as well. Treat all your chickens. Valbazen is a liquid wormer for cattle and sheep and can be purchased from jeffers livestock online or you can call and order. Dosage is; 1/2 cc (one half cc) per chicken given orally. Repeat treatment again in 14 days. You'll have to discard eggs in the garbage for a total of 28 days. Edited...ivermectin wont kill tapeworms.

Last edited:
Quote:
they had a debate a little ways back and said only orally will kill it with the ivermectin. I am lucky i have never dealt with it , just was interested in the debate. lol.... either way, the OP has to treat it with something. What would have to be done to the soil? i assume they will keep getting it ??? I am interested in this for some reason, seems easy to get on your land with turkeys & wild birds.

Quote:
they had a debate a little ways back and said only orally will kill it with the ivermectin. I am lucky i have never dealt with it , just was interested in the debate. lol.... either way, the OP has to treat it with something. What would have to be done to the soil? i assume they will keep getting it ??? I am interested in this for some reason, seems easy to get on your land with turkeys & wild birds.

Sorry Sillystunt, no debate about it...valbazen (albendazole) kills tapeworms and liver flukes. Zimectrin Gold equine paste with praziquantel will kill tapeworms, as will Quest Plus equine gel with moxidectin/praziquantel kills tapeworms. Ivermectin kills alot of types of worms including gapeworm...but not tapeworms. Worms are everywhere in the soil. That's why a regular worming schedule should be established...especially for us that live down here in the south due to the heat and humidity, damp soil which is very condusive for worms.

Quote:

Sorry Sillystunt, no debate about it...valbazen (albendazole) kills tapeworms and liver flukes. Zimectrin Gold equine paste with praziquantel will kill tapeworms, as will Quest Plus equine gel with moxidectin/praziquantel kills tapeworms. Ivermectin kills alot of types of worms including gapeworm...but not tapeworms. Worms are everywhere in the soil. That's why a regular worming schedule should be established...especially for us that live down here in the south due to the heat and humidity, damp soil which is very condusive for worms.

interesting.................... maybe it was gapeworms the debate was on? lol hahahaaaa i just remember someone couldn't get rid of them & someone said oral solution. i guess i assumed tapeworm.

on another random note, my sister inlaw had a tapeworm. she fasted and then drank nothing but pepsi. It killed the tapeworm & she threw it up. YUP, she is sooo gross & kept it! I almost fainted.................

How big was the tapeworm? I can see keeping it. Once my husband was on a mission trip in Venezula and some sort of small moth went in his ear. They had to do "third world surgery" on him at the missionary's home and couldn't get it out, so they finally poured something in to smother it. He had it removed stateside when he came home and he kept the bug in a little jar to show everyone. It took a couple of years for that bug to disentegrate.

Quote:

interesting.................... maybe it was gapeworms the debate was on? lol hahahaaaa i just remember someone couldn't get rid of them & someone said oral solution. i guess i assumed tapeworm.

on another random note, my sister inlaw had a tapeworm. she fasted and then drank nothing but pepsi. It killed the tapeworm & she threw it up. YUP, she is sooo gross & kept it! I almost fainted.................

Yeah, most likely it was over gapeworm...fenbendazole, ivermectin and valbazen all kills gapeworm. UGH...Your sister in law had a tapeworm? OMG YUCKERS!!!!!! Ay yi yi yi!

Back
Top Bottom