need help teaching blind chicken

trudyg

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 3, 2013
North Alabama
My buff orpington pullet was attacked by a hawk several weeks ago. She was put in a cage in the garage and fed with a dropper for the first week or so, then we tapped the food/water dish with a pencil so she could find it via sound. I used small plant saucers/ceramic casserole dishes that won't tip over. She now swings her beak back and forth like a blind person's cane until she finds what she's looking for. It's kind of funny to watch her 'jump' down from her 2x4 roost (flat on the floor, so 1 1/2" up) since she's cautious. Also, we talk to her as we move about so as not to startle her but she really stresses if we pick her up and it's even more stressful if we try to direct her beak into food/water.

I can't see keeping her in the garage forever--she needs the stimulation and company of the flock. I plan to create a space the same size as her cage on the floor of the big coop. That way she will still follow her current method of finding roost/dishes, which I always place at the same location. Then, every so often, I would move one wall of her enclosure a bit farther away until she has the entire coop (8'x12') to roam around.

My problem is that she will perch on the edge of her dishes and poop in them or even lay down in the water. Seems like we're constantly changing her water to keep it clean. Any suggestions of how to change this habit? I'm thinking to use the chick waterer with the mason jar, since she most likely won't fly up to perch on the jar and, if that works, eventually change to the gallon jug waterer. She would have to learn to bump her head into the jug part, but I think that's doable. Do you think she would ever figure out the horizontal nipples? That would be ideal. She poops in the food dish, too.

I don't really want anything with small holes since she randomly pecks and still has to get lucky with her aim. Do chickens smell where the food and water is? I can put the dishes up on a brick so maybe she won't climb onto the rim? I would feed her smelly sardines if that would help her learn. I do put mealworms, boss, tomatoes, grapes, etc into her food dish fairly often so she isn't 100% on all-flock. I was wetting the feed so she'd get water but it's so hot I'm afraid it would get moldy.

She's only 8 weeks old and I got her for eggs and possibly to go broody. Do you think this is feasible? I had posted under 'when to cull' in the injuries forum. I'm glad she's still alive, it was a pretty bad injury, but now I want her to get on with her life as a chicken. We've had plenty of people around since the injury so she's had sounds and people petting her, but that's winding down now and I need to get serious on her rehab. Any suggestions would be so very welcome. Thanks!

@Stephen Sharpe might be able to give you advice. Hopefully he will see this. Good luck!

Edit now that I have a little more time. If you search “Blind” in the search bar at the top of the page, look for the post by Stephen Sharpe. It deals with blind chickens, and his experiences with them. It’s been a while since I read that thread, but it really stuck with me that caring for a blind chicken can be done.

Last edited:
Thanks. I just read through his posts. It's great that he rescues! I don't have any smaller chicks to put in with her, but I think she'll be okay if she's in the big coop with the others but they can't get at her. I'm just concerned about her eating. I wonder if I can't make a hole in the dividing wire so the food and water can be shared by her inside and those outside her area? I'll have to think about that, as I think she'd gravitate to the feeder if she heard them. She gets excited when she hears a voice, startled if it's an unusual noise (garage door closing) and really freaks if someone picks her up from above. I usually talk to her, pet her a bit, then slide my fingers beneath her and lift. Even then she's not totally at ease. I wonder if memories of hawk from above? or maybe just natural fear of predators? At any rate, thanks for the tip.

Could very well be memories of being attacked from above.

Maybe before trying a hole in the wire, try putting her food beside the others food. That way she will hear them and head to it, but won’t have to figure out putting her head through a hole? I’ve never had a blind chicken, but one of my rabbits went blind in one eye before it passed. I’m not sure how she would have done if she was totally blind.

Kudos to you for taking care of her!

I'd be afraid they'd peck at her, but it's worth a try at least once. Their food hangs from a hook and their water is up on a milk crate (5 gal bucket with horizontal nipples). If she'd figure out how to use the nipples that would sure fix the poop in the water issue.

I meant have her food inside where you have her, but beside the dividing wire. And move the other girls food to beside it, but outside the dividing wire. Maybe try the same with her water also? I had to switch from a hanging watered to a bowl when I had rabbits in the coop, they would drink from it and spill it everywhere. I switched to the heated dog bowl I use in winter (without plugging it in).

Can you give an update on your blind girl? I have a blind one too... a quail (from birth).
It is not very clear - did she loose her sight because of the hawk attack?
How is she now @trudyg?

Lucky was attacked by a hawk and had eye damage from that. It all healed up well and she was in a large cage in the big coop, even had a small cockerel friend who I would put in with her at night to snuggle. Unfortunately, Lucky got out one morning and my big hen Rosie pecked the dickens out of her. Poor thing was so bloody and couldn't tell where the attack was coming from and so couldn't hide. We decided to cull her--if there had been any chance at all that she would have been able to survive amongst all the chickens then we wouldn't have, but my adult hens are peckish.

Back
Top Bottom