Need help to identify this breed

Kylaaaaa22

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 22, 2013
Crossville Alabama
New to chickens since these we're tiny. I got them free from someone who bought them to take some Easter pictures with, bought at Tractor Supply Co. during chick days or something like that. Anyways, here's a picture of a male (I'm assuming since the female looks sort of different with a smaller head comb) have 2 makes and 2 females.

New to chickens since these we're tiny. I got them free from someone who bought them to take some Easter pictures with, bought at Tractor Supply Co. during chick days or something like that. Anyways, here's a picture of a male (I'm assuming since the female looks sort of different with a smaller head comb) have 2 makes and 2 females.

Yep, Leghorn, but to me it doesn't look like a male... more like a laying hen. But I could be wrong, I can't see the tail feathers very well.

this is the same chicken in the original post.. I chased him around to get the picture lol.
this broody hen just hatched her chick on September 4th, so I know for sure she's a hen.
The other 2 that I have one has a larger comb like the top and the other has a smaller like the hen.

this is the same chicken in the original post.. I chased him around to get the picture lol.
this broody hen just hatched her chick on September 4th, so I know for sure she's a hen.
The other 2 that I have one has a larger comb like the top and the other has a smaller like the hen.

The top picture is a Leghorn hen.
smile.png

Do you have a pic of the other one you think is a boy? I'm surprised you got a chick from a Leghorn! Ours don't give a crap about our babies other than "Ahhh they're eating our food!" Is it HER chick or did you give her an egg to brood over?

Do you have a pic of the other one you think is a boy? I'm surprised you got a chick from a Leghorn! Ours don't give a crap about our babies other than "Ahhh they're eating our food!" Is it HER chick or did you give her an egg to brood over?

I didn't give her an egg. I didn't even know what broody was, or that people could give eggs to broody hens until a few days ago. I just knew she was in there sitting in one spot on 4 eggs for weeks.

And no I don't. I can get some more pictures tomorrow when I feed and them.

Last edited:
Okay, just looked them up on google, they all may be hens, because none of them have the long tail feathers.
Is it possible to have my black jersey giant rooster mate with the leghorn?
If all 4 of my leghorns are hens, and 3/4 of my black jersey giants are hens and 1 rooster, the only way I could have gotten a fertilized egg is my leghorn mate with my black jersey giant. I didn't think that was possible, that's why I thought I had roosters with my white chickens.

Oh yeah, your giant will mate with the leghorns. chickens don't know breeds, any male will mate with any female. You'll have quite a chick!

Oh yeah, your giant will mate with the leghorns. chickens don't know breeds, any male will mate with any female. You'll have quite a chick!

X2. Yup, a rooster will mate any hen he can, regardless of breed and the resulting chicks will be mutts - just like in animals like dogs. When a roo mates a hen, she can lay fertile eggs from him for a month, sometimes a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom