Need help to identify this breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kylaaaaa22, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Kylaaaaa22

Kylaaaaa22 New Egg

Jul 22, 2013
    Crossville Alabama
    New to chickens since these we're tiny. I got them free from someone who bought them to take some Easter pictures with, bought at Tractor Supply Co. during chick days or something like that. Anyways, here's a picture of a male (I'm assuming since the female looks sort of different with a smaller head comb) have 2 makes and 2 females. [​IMG]

2. hope4rainbow

hope4rainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Leghorn unless our girls have something wrong with them, lol.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  3. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Yep, Leghorn, but to me it doesn't look like a male... more like a laying hen. But I could be wrong, I can't see the tail feathers very well.

4. Kylaaaaa22

Kylaaaaa22 New Egg

Jul 22, 2013
    Crossville Alabama
    [​IMG] this is the same chicken in the original post.. I chased him around to get the picture lol.
    [​IMG] this broody hen just hatched her chick on September 4th, so I know for sure she's a hen.
    The other 2 that I have one has a larger comb like the top and the other has a smaller like the hen.

5. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    The top picture is a Leghorn hen. [​IMG]

6. hope4rainbow

hope4rainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Do you have a pic of the other one you think is a boy? I'm surprised you got a chick from a Leghorn! Ours don't give a crap about our babies other than "Ahhh they're eating our food!" Is it HER chick or did you give her an egg to brood over?

7. Kylaaaaa22

Kylaaaaa22 New Egg

Jul 22, 2013
    Crossville Alabama
    I didn't give her an egg. I didn't even know what broody was, or that people could give eggs to broody hens until a few days ago. I just knew she was in there sitting in one spot on 4 eggs for weeks.

And no I don't. I can get some more pictures tomorrow when I feed and them.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  8. Kylaaaaa22

Kylaaaaa22 New Egg

Jul 22, 2013
    Crossville Alabama
    Okay, just looked them up on google, they all may be hens, because none of them have the long tail feathers.
    Is it possible to have my black jersey giant rooster mate with the leghorn?
    If all 4 of my leghorns are hens, and 3/4 of my black jersey giants are hens and 1 rooster, the only way I could have gotten a fertilized egg is my leghorn mate with my black jersey giant. I didn't think that was possible, that's why I thought I had roosters with my white chickens.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Oh yeah, your giant will mate with the leghorns. chickens don't know breeds, any male will mate with any female. You'll have quite a chick!

10. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

X2. Yup, a rooster will mate any hen he can, regardless of breed and the resulting chicks will be mutts - just like in animals like dogs. When a roo mates a hen, she can lay fertile eggs from him for a month, sometimes a bit more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by