Need help turning my garden shed into a coop

MadabtChickens

Songster
8 Years
7 Years
Jan 24, 2012
near Branson, MO
Hi! I'm going to be getting my first chickens in a month or so and need help figuring out a few things to get my large garden shed turned into a coop.

I was planning on putting the roosts on the back wall and the shelves for the nests on the right wall

I already have a door. The shed was used as a dog house/yard when my mother was on vacation.

The chickens are going to be 100% free range from morning until dusk. Here are my questions:
What should I do for ventilation?
I was planning on putting 2 shelves up for the nests. I know I need to put some wood borders on the outside of the shelves to keep the straw and eggs in, but should I section the shelves off also to make nest boxes?
Should I finish covering the interior beams, or is it fine how it is now?
Any other input is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

It looks like you already have ventilation.

Honestly, there is not much you need to do with that, other than put some straw/shavings/sand down for bedding and put up some roosts.

You can just take the gate off of the fence. No hazard IMO.

I use my old garage as a winter run for them. They refuse to go outside, and I hadn't done anything other than clean it up and put a roost up, straw down and set up their food and water.

If you want it to look chicken-coop-ish, paint it. I would definitely paint it.. But it's not necessary.

You could certainly add a couple roof vents. It sure wouldn't hurt. But I have to say, what a nice coop!!! Outstanding!! Some nest boxes, perhaps, one for every four hens, and roosting and you'd be good to go. Are you going to run electricity out there? Just use a heavy duty extension cord?

Awesome coop.

I'm also in the process of converting a barn-shaped shed into a coop. That looks great already. Were I you, I would find a way to place a window or similar opening somewhere, to allow for additional ventilation in the summer. Maybe some hinged flaps lower along the wall?

You are so lucky to have a big coop. Consider keeping the fence/gate for times when free range in not an option.

I would cut some holes in the sides to add some windows whether it is real windows you can open for air,or just plexiglass like mine for light. Enjoy your chickies! They are lucky to have such a nice big coop.

It looks like you already have ventilation.
Honestly, there is not much you need to do with that, other than put some straw/shavings/sand down for bedding and put up some roosts.
You can just take the gate off of the fence. No hazard IMO.
I use my old garage as a winter run for them. They refuse to go outside, and I hadn't done anything other than clean it up and put a roost up, straw down and set up their food and water.
If you want it to look chicken-coop-ish, paint it. I would definitely paint it.. But it's not necessary.

There are those vents on the front and back of the shed. Would that be enough? I didn't think there needed to be much done, but wanted to make sure. Thank you!

You could certainly add a couple roof vents. It sure wouldn't hurt. But I have to say, what a nice coop!!! Outstanding!! Some nest boxes, perhaps, one for every four hens, and roosting and you'd be good to go. Are you going to run electricity out there? Just use a heavy duty extension cord?

Awesome coop.

We have a garage with electric about 10' away. My uncle offered to run electric to the shed, but we may just run an extension cord through the window for when the hens need heat. Thank you!

I'm also in the process of converting a barn-shaped shed into a coop. That looks great already. Were I you, I would find a way to place a window or similar opening somewhere, to allow for additional ventilation in the summer. Maybe some hinged flaps lower along the wall?

I was thinking about doing the hinged flaps for ventilation, but don't really want to cut into the shed if I don't have to. Good luck with your conversion and thank you!

You are so lucky to have a big coop. Consider keeping the fence/gate for times when free range in not an option.

I would cut some holes in the sides to add some windows whether it is real windows you can open for air,or just plexiglass like mine for light. Enjoy your chickies! They are lucky to have such a nice big coop.

Wouldn't I need to put chicken wire around the fence and over the top if I used it as a run? I never thought about the plexiglass for light. I'll see what I can do with that. Thank you!

I have four nest boxes for 15 hens, and they all use the same box. Maybe, maybe, they will use a second box if the first one is occupied.
smile.png

I converted a shed similar to yours into a coop also. I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them on here for you.

You have all the wood you need in your shed. You need to make some nesting boxes and put up some roosting poles. You should put something on the floor, such as pine shavings. That is all you need.

Bringing natural light into the coop would help make the hens more productive egg layers, or you can use an electric light if you want. Or will the chickens be outside during all daylight hours?

You should not remove the gate on your fence. You can just latch the gate open when you let the chickens out. Most chicken breeds will be able to hop over that fence also.

So the chickens will be free ranging all over your property? Will someone be around to keep an eye on the chickens? A predator could attack your chickens. Is that your dog in the picture? If so, you will have to train your dog not to chase or attack chickens. A dog can be good protection against predators, if trained not to bother the chickens.

By the way, what breed of chickens are you getting? Hopefully they are a breed or breeds that can fly a little to get up into a tree and away from predators.

Last edited:
I have four nest boxes for 15 hens, and they all use the same box. Maybe, maybe, they will use a second box if the first one is occupied.
smile.png

I converted a shed similar to yours into a coop also. I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them on here for you.
Thank you! Pictures are greatly appreciated.
smile.png

You have all the wood you need in your shed. You need to make some nesting boxes and put up some roosting poles. You should put something on the floor, such as pine shavings. That is all you need.

Bringing natural light into the coop would help make the hens more productive egg layers, or you can use an electric light if you want. Or will the chickens be outside during all daylight hours?

You should not remove the gate on your fence. You can just latch the gate open when you let the chickens out. Most chicken breeds will be able to hop over that fence also.

So the chickens will be free ranging all over your property? Will someone be around to keep an eye on the chickens? A predator could attack your chickens. Is that your dog in the picture? If so, you will have to train your dog not to chase or attack chickens. A dog can be good protection against predators, if trained not to bother the chickens.

By the way, what breed of chickens are you getting? Hopefully they are a breed or breeds that can fly a little to get up into a tree and away from predators.

I'm going to add a window that can open and close, but the hens will be out from morning until dusk. My mother works from home and when nobody is here the chickens will be in the coop which won't be often. I wanted to turn the fenced area into a run, but my mother doesn't want to at this point. Between my mother and I we have 4 dogs. I will be training them all to leave the chickens alone (my 2 already know and obey the "leave it" command) and they do not come out of their fenced in yard unless one of us is outside, so they won't be a danger to the chickens. I want to get RIRs, EEs, Silkies, and maybe Delewares, but it depends on what we can find locally. I won't be having chicks shipped. I have no idea which breeds can fly and which can't. I did not see that information in the breed descriptions when I was doing my research.

Back
Top Bottom