Need help! Twin egg hatching after losing one twin at 11 days!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Okiechick4ever, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Okiechick4ever

Okiechick4ever New Egg

Sep 11, 2016
    I'm new here and hope this is where I needed to post...
    Discovered one of our 4 eggs was twins on day 6/7. This egg is TINY. Like ping pong ball sized from average sized chickens. (not sure of breed since these were from a mixed flock.) All the other eggs are of normal size. I'm extremely concerned about egg size/growth restriction and keeping membranes moist.
    Twin B died at 11 days :( , today is day 19/20. Twin A broke through one of the two air cells but the other cell was overlapping but not seeming to break and baby seemed to be running out of space 1-2 days ago due to having the 2 separate air cells. So I chipped the egg into the cells to remove the extra. This allowed extra space for movement and breathing/chirping but I'm sure the little one isn't ready to hatch. How do I keep the remaining membrane moist until chick finishes its hatch? Right now I've just covered the chipped area with a wet paper towel inside the incubator and am remoistening:( the towel every 20 min. This method won't work for too long though as I need at least a small bit of sleep tonight.

2. Thenewgoat

Thenewgoat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2016
    try the egg in a cup thing where you wrap the bottom of the egg in a moist towel and putting it in a cup or egg cartoon to help just make sure there is no standing ater in the bottom

3. Fluffyserama

Fluffyserama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    olympia, WA
    My small serama eggs usually hatch day 19-20 so timing may be ok. what breed is the chick? If the chick is ready and has absorbed its blood vessels and yolk than it may hatch alright. If I want to keep humidity way up I put a wet new clean sponge in the incubator. It seems to work great when I'm assisting chicks, I only need to check and moisten them membrane every two hrs, but if I'm not having issues with the membrane drying I will add a little olive oil to the water I dab on and leave it longer when I really need sleep

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by