Need help understanding my Tom

Crazycomb

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 5, 2013
Mt. Pleasant, MS
I had two bonded Toms from the same hatching. They grew up together. They had established dominance and got along very well. They were always side by side, literally. They are approximately 7 - 8 months old. About 6 weeks ago a neighbors dog attacked and severely injured the less dominant of the Toms. He had large gaping wounds on his body so we had to put him down.

Neither of the boys had ever shown any aggression towards me at all. As a matter of fact, they would run to greet me with a happy gobble because I was and am the primary keeper and I feed them. They had never spread their feathers around me and even loved all of our dogs.

At first the Tom that survived was scared of everything. He did not eat for a few days and finally started coming back around. But.... he spits, spreads his feathers and vibrates every time he sees me now. He did this and chased me this morning. I didn't have the heart to kick him away so I hurried around the barn and went another direction. I realize this was probably a mistake. I am not sure what to do with him. He is scaring every one in the family and he is obviously still traumatized. He also chases the dogs now and peaks at them. I am thinking I either need to get him a new companion or rehome him. I really do not understand turkey behavior but have enough sense to know he is ******.

Any advise or information about his behavior would be very much appreciated!

Not sure if this is what's going on, but an experienced turkey breeder warned us that having one tom is a mistake - it gets overly aggressive towards people. If you have more than one, they are distracted/aggressive towards each other and have less energy to chase people. Maybe that on top of being traumatized is what is causing his overly aggressive behavior? I would get another tom or two. I've also read that you should chase him a bit if he comes after you, then walk away and ignore him once he runs away from you. It shows him who is the alpha tom.

Back
Top Bottom