need help w. City ordanince requireing vet care

TerryQui

Chirping
8 Years
May 23, 2011
Columbus Ohio
I am new to this forum, but I have raised birds in the house for four years. They have their own room.
http://www.feathersnsong.com
I now have two dozen chick eggs in my incubator and have a 4 x 2 enclosed bird aviary that they will be going into when they hatch.
We are in the process of getting the permit and building the coop etc.
I am trying to find out from someone how to handle the vet papers. I cannot take all my chickens to the vets and pay a fortune for checkups. That is just ridiculous. If anyone has an easy solution for that to appease my health dept., I would love to hear it.
I have been in small animal husbandry for 25 years.
I have raised hamsters, rats, mice, bunnies, bearded dragons, gecko's, meal worms, super worms, crickets, birds and now chickens.
I have done this all indoors. The mice were the worst smell and even using an air cleaner wasn't enough, so I had to quit with them.
I am a farmer at heart, my grampa was a farmer, so I don't mind smells, but I don't allow smells in the house.
I did incubate button quail once and raised them indoors, but found them aggressive toward each other in small aviaries, so I placed them with folks who had large aviaries.
I am doing square foot gardens this summer and the chickens. I love all of this and what is involved. It is my total heart.
I just hate having someone that I have to appease and be under their headship.
People have dogs in their back yards that bark 24/7 and don't need a permit. Why go through so many hoops for a few chickens?
Mine will probably be the cleanest and healthiest set up possible as that is how I care for my animals anyway. Bird health is preventative. I have learned over the years how to treat and take care of about anything myself and I have saved babies that had problems etc.
I am in Columbus Ohio and if any of you are in my City, I would love to meet you.
smile.png
Blessings, Terry (mom of nine, four by birth and five adopted, all grown now except one teenager)

You might call a large animal Vet, they make farm calls and might be familiar with what you need. Look at it this way, for every person that keeps a good flock like you, there are proabley half a dozen who do not.
Good luck

I agree with looking for a large animal (farm animal) vet. Or an avian vet that does house calls. You could ask them to:
Come inspect your set up
Maybe examine a few birds
Write a letter stating that they have inspected the facility and there are no problems/hazards/signs of disease in your flock

Then once per year maybe you (worst case) have the inspection again - cheaper than examining every bird, OR maybe they could re-issue the letter stating that an annual inspection is not needed for chickens kept in good conditions as you have demonstrated that you have done.

Also, look for locals who can help you change this silly law!

I've never heard of something like this. Why would you need papers for your chickens? Just to state that they're healthy? I'm not even sure there's a vet around here that treats chickens. I know they do cattle and things like that, but I'm not sure on chickens. I do know that the closest vet for exotic birds is over an hour away.

Last edited:
Terry,

Call IndianRun Vet Clinic in Reynoldsburg. When DH was stationed in Ohio I used her for out of the norm animal care. She use to do all the USDA health papers for exotic pet owners, and even did farm visits as part of the paperwork. She spaid a female platinum fox for me we had as a pet, and her entire staff were great to work with.

Shellie

Find out from the health dept exactly what they need. If they require it, surely they have a form lol.

I have to say, that's bizarre. Never heard of anything like that.

I googled the requirements for Columbus, Ohio. That's the first place I've ever heard of that requires a vet to see the chickens annually. They have to be seen by a vet and be free of parasites and any symptoms of any zoonotic diseases. http://publichealth.columbus.gov/up...am/Standards Relative to Animals and Fowl.pdf

When I read all the requirements to my husband, of which there are many, his comment was, "They really didn't want people to get chickens, did they?" I guess making it really hard and really expensive, while technically still allowing chickens, was a way to make the whole topic go away. A few die-hards would still get them, but many wouldn't and it would appease all the people that just didn't want them there or were phobic about it.

You could probably just look in the yellow pages for your area or do a google search for vets and start calling around. It's pretty easy to pop a couple of chickens in a dog crate to go to the vet. For more than that, I'd have a farm vet do a call. Legally, they'll need to look at every one, the way the it's written.

Back
Top Bottom