need help want to hatch some eggs

rooster419

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 12, 2010
I got 5 buffs and i just got a rooster so i can hatch some eggs. i put them all together. now how can i tell witch egg is furtile. will all of them be furtile? will the hens only lay on a furtile egg? i wasent going to do the incubater i was going naturel. thanks for any advice. realy need help here

Hey I went natural with mine:))
ok so if they egg is fertile the chicken will sit on them.
Mine layed three but every so often she would get of and run around
th garden streching her wings and so for about a half hour
so if it does that it's not always bad:))
Only two of the eggs hatched but we think it was layed before the fertile eggs
so leave all the eggs she is sitting on
Just put water and food close by so she doesn't have to get up to far and maybe
if she is in a big coop transfer her and the eggs into a small pen ( I used an ark)
so when the chicks are born they wont get lost in the big space or outside
Hope this helped, anything else ask??
Georgiee xxx

Your hen will only sit if she decides to. The presence of fertile eggs doesn't mean she will sit on them to hatch them. You will know you have a broody hen when she sits in the same nest without getting up for hours at a time. You may need to place eggs under her for her to hatch. A hen doesn't know the difference between a fertilized or an unfertilized egg. A broody hen will sit on rocks and golf balls too. If you think you have a broody hen, reach toward her as if you're going to pick her up or look under her. If she growls and puffs up, that's a good sign she's decided to sit. When that time comes, IF it comes, you will need to mark the eggs under her with a pen or pencil. Place an "X" on the eggs you want her to hatch so you can remove the new ones she might add to her collection every day. Once she starts to sit, mark the day on a calendar and the chicks will be hatching 21 days later. She will being her new chicks out to see the world when they are about 3 days old. When she does this, you will want to remove any unhatched eggs.

mine took 24 days to hatch and i filmed it, it was the cutest thing ever!!
We is so comfortable with people she just let us lift her and mark the eggs,
we marked three and checked her not reguarly but enough but she only layed three
but she is young so im not surprised:LLL xxx

all this is real helpfull thanks alot for the info. my rooster is 5 months old is that old enough. all so when my hens lay a egg they get up right away. will they go back to it and sit on it. or when she lays a egg she stays put to incubate it? will the one rooster furtilize all the hens in the coop? i got 5 hens should i expect all to sit on eggs? thanks again for the info

I think five months is pretty young so far but maybe at about 1 year:))
she will lay them and sit straight away without getting up if she's broody,
but for now enjoy the eggs you get because after they hatch chicks they wont
lay for a while afterwards:))
Don't expect them all to lay, well not at once anyway, he'll probably pick one
or two.
Georgie xx

my rooster is only 5 months can he still do the deed that young? ok thanks it helps a beginer like me alot

He may be old enough, probably. I would collect your eggs daily for eating. When the hen is broody, you'll know it. When you go out to offer treats tot he flock, she won't be there, she'll be on the nest. A broody hen will sit on an empty nest. If I think my hen is broody, I simply check on her a few times during the day and if she's still sitting guard on a nest, I know she's broody and I give her some eggs. I always make sure my girl is broody before giving her eggs. If you leave eggs out there waiting for her to go broody, you're gonna have to throw away a lot of eggs. Some breeds of chicken NEVER go broody.

thanks alot for the info nurse. i guess its a waiting game now. i will be in touch im sure

Back
Top Bottom