NEED HELP - what is wrong with her?

KelliIrvine

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 11, 2012
This is my oldest hen, Mimi. A couple of weeks ago we noticed her eye was a little swollen, but she was fine other than that, figured she got into a little scuffle with one of the other hens. It is now a lot bigger and we have had her separated from the others for several days. Her breathing is fine, she has has a little runny nose on the same side, but not on the other. She is eating and drinking fine, poop is solid. There is a little odor, but nothing outrageous. I have given her vetRX thinking it might help, but nothing so far. Any help would be appreciated.

Facial swelling/swollen eye, runny nose, a little odor, it's been going on for a couple of weeks...there's a possibilty that she might have Infectious Coryza. I recommend that you quarantine her away from your other birds. Recommended treatment for coryza would be sulfadimethoxine or sulmet in conjunction with tylan 50 injectable or tylan 200 injectable.
Here's a link, scroll down to Infectious Coryza and read about it if you wish:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
If in fact it is coryza, your other option is to cull.

Thank you! I have the Tylan on hand. Where can I purchase the other antibiotics? Farm supply stores?
She has been quarantined for several days. No signs from any of the other hens.

Last edited:
you can get them at the feed store. Gallimycine streptomycin and sulfadimethoxime also relieves the symptoms of corzya. IF it is Corzya the recovered bird will be a carrier of the disease. also if it is corzya disease may reoccur after treatment. only way to know if its corzya is through a blood test. however symptoms include depression nasal discharge facial swelling one or both eyes closed foul smelling discharge reddish ; watery eyes eyelids stuck together. drop in feed and water consumption. hope this helps good luck

She is eating, drinking and acting perfectly fine. No discharge from the other side of her beak, just the one side where the eye is swollen, it is runny, watery, but not stuck together. There is a slight odor, which I noticed today for the first time. Could this still be Coryza? We don't have a vet here that deals with chickens, that I am aware of. One other thing, would it affect laying? She has laid one egg, since being separated.

Last edited:
yes in the chicken health book it says effects laying also. so hopefully its something else. plus my book says reddish nasal discharge. your symptoms don't really match. but I do think she has a respiratory issue going on. try the tylan 50 and see if it clears her up. tylan works great for respiratory illness. right now two of my birds were sneezing with some mucus so I'm treating with tylan50. it seems to help a lot. dose is 1/2 for large birds 1/4 cc for small birds once daily in the breast . hope this helps and wish you the best.

Back
Top Bottom