Need help! - what is wrong with this hen's butt?

Fintechie

Songster
Oct 23, 2019
New York
My cuckoo maran has a butt with a bald spot. And the feather around looks loose. Please see picture below. She is otherwise healthy and laying eggs as usual (almost). She is now 15 months old, and has a large body size with a good appetite (and aggressive, so I don't think any other gals picking on her). She used to have dirty butt during winter and early spring. We cleaned her twice, starting with soup water but ended with sheared off some feathers around the area. I wonder if she starts to change feather - I have two other hens in the same batch have
IMG_0015.jpg
done that during winter while they were still in their first year (very odd). Of course I would be more concerned if there is other cause to that bald butt. Anyone has similar experience to share please?

I also have this. Two of my hens have it actually worse. My thoughts were that either it was mites or I wasn't cleaning the pen well enough? So I've been keeping an eye on them, and cleaning the pen more thoroughly. At least one of the hens is growing them back pretty quickly.

I also have this. Two of my hens have it actually worse. My thoughts were that either it was mites or I wasn't cleaning the pen well enough? So I've been keeping an eye on them, and cleaning the pen more thoroughly. At least one of the hens is growing them back pretty quickly.
Thank you for sharing. This is only one among 13 hen with the problem. We've been cleaning the pen daily. Glad it's warmer now, we'll take out all the bedding going forward.

Thank you for sharing. This is only one among 13 hen with the problem. We've been cleaning the pen daily. Glad it's warmer now, we'll take out all the bedding going forward.
Also, I think I'll give her a wash of her rear end in container, so mites may be spotted on the water if there is any...

If a feather is fully plucked out, it will regrow almost immediately.
If feathers are broken or bitten off they won't regrow until a molt.

Poopy butts can be from several causes.
Loose poops caused from drinking a lot of water when it's hot, too many fruit treats, or some digestive problem, often cling to the fluffier butted birds.
Trimming feathers off around and below the vent can help.

Back
Top Bottom