Need Help with 11 Week Old Chicks, Blood in Poop

Haunted55

Songster
7 Years
Feb 15, 2012
Central Maine
I just noticed that one of my hatched chickens has bright red blood in it's poop. What do I do?

Chicks started with medicated feed

Since moving into the chicken house they have been getting Dumor 20% [still because I can't find the 18%]

They have been let into the 1 year olds pen and room when the older ones are ranging and sometimes I'm not quick enough to get the layer food up before they get into it. Not a daily occurance.

They appear fine. Bright and perky, eating, drinking and watching me build more pens.

These birds were not vaccinated as they were hatched here and I couldn't get out to get what I needed to do so. Never been a problem with them before.

I just noticed that one of my hatched chickens has bright red blood in it's poop.  What do I do? 

Chicks started with medicated feed

Since moving into the chicken house they have been getting Dumor 20% [still because I can't find the 18%]

They have been let into the 1 year olds pen and room when the older ones are ranging and sometimes I'm not quick enough to get the layer food up before they get into it.   Not a daily occurance.

They appear fine.  Bright and perky, eating, drinking and watching me build more pens. 

These birds were not vaccinated as they were hatched here and I couldn't get out to get what I needed to do so.  Never been a problem with them before.

Bright red blood would mean ...most likely..coccidiosis...easily treatable if caught on time...go to the search engine and look up medications for cocci...id post links for you but my ipad and me are slow! There is corrid or sulmet you can use and a few other brands that are slightly more gentle on chicks....

THANK-YOU!!!!! I'm on it right now. So far though, I called 5 different farm supply stores and they do not have it and won't get resupplied for a week. Do you know if there is a natural way to do this? I can give them medicated feed but that seems to me to be shutting the door after the horse is out.

Medicated feed doesn't necessarily even prevent cocci, much less treat it.

An old farmer's remedy is adding nonfat dry milk powder to their crumble at a rate of *I think* 1/4 of the feed, but that may not fix the issue, just soothe their intestines a bit. Plain yogurt helps with the gut bacteria as it is a probiotic, but you do need Corid, which is concentrated amprolium-it's preferred over Sulmet, which is much harder on already ravaged intestines.

You can order Corid at a good price from Revival Animal Health online, as well as Jeffers Livestock Supply and even Amazon.com

Last edited:
Know I need it and will not ever be without it again. Can't get it though. The closest I found it is 2 states away and they can't ship it out as there is a TS locally. The earliest I can get it here is Weds. either through TS or Jeffers. I will continue with the medicated feed until I can get it and will also add either yougurt or a probiotic to ease them through until I can get some of the Corid into them.

You know, the funny thing is, none of them are showing any symptoms. I'm not even sure which one did it. None of them are acting cold or staying alone. I see no difference in their actions at all. Could this be something else?

And thank-you for the reply!

I have only seen one hunched up chick in all the cases of coccidiosis over the years here. That one just had a rougher time with it, apparently. Even he made it, though. The symptom was bloody poop, put them on Corid and in 5 days, no more cocci. With Sulmet, I was re-treating all the time, probably because the type of oocycts in my soil were the type that Sulmet was not effective against.

I just got a new bottle of Corid myself. If you were closer, I'd give you some till you could get some shipped in.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom