Need help with a 5 gallon waterer I made.

chipahoy4

Chirping
6 Years
May 26, 2013
Made a 5 gallon waterer from posts on this site. Can't seem to get it to work right. I used the bottom of a small blue barrel and cut it down to an appropriate height. Got a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and drilled 3 holes around the lip of the bucket. When I filled it with water and turned it upside down into the blue tray the water would come out of the holes for about 5 seconds, then the flow would stop as soon as it built up a vacuum. The water level is below the drilled holes of the bucket, but it does not fill up in the tray. The water does not come up to the holes as I thought it was supposed to. Not sure how to fix, Any help would be great.

It seems that you have a good vacuum there. Are the holes that you drilled the same size as the model you followed?

Chris

Can't seem to load any pictures for some reason. I drilled 1 hole 1/2" dia. and it did not work, I then drilled 2 more holes around the pail for a total of 3 and the water would not come out. The holes are below the level of the tray that it sits in, but the vacuum won't let the water come out. I will try to get the pics in, it keeps coming up as a failure to upload.

Last edited:
Quote: The water level is below the drilled holes of the bucket, but it does not fill up in the tray.

The water does not come up to the holes as I thought it was supposed to. Not sure how to fix, Any help would be great.
I think your holes are too small.

I'd use a hacksaw or jig saw blade and turn them into slots that go all the way to the edge of the bucket and see if that doesn't fix things

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom