Need help with a 5 gallon waterer I made.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chipahoy4, Oct 27, 2013.

1. chipahoy4

chipahoy4 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2013
    Made a 5 gallon waterer from posts on this site. Can't seem to get it to work right. I used the bottom of a small blue barrel and cut it down to an appropriate height. Got a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and drilled 3 holes around the lip of the bucket. When I filled it with water and turned it upside down into the blue tray the water would come out of the holes for about 5 seconds, then the flow would stop as soon as it built up a vacuum. The water level is below the drilled holes of the bucket, but it does not fill up in the tray. The water does not come up to the holes as I thought it was supposed to. Not sure how to fix, Any help would be great.

2. Jedi Clampett

Jedi Clampett Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2013
    Have any pics? This sounds like it should work!!

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    It seems that you have a good vacuum there. Are the holes that you drilled the same size as the model you followed?

Chris

4. chipahoy4

May 26, 2013
    Can't seem to load any pictures for some reason. I drilled 1 hole 1/2" dia. and it did not work, I then drilled 2 more holes around the pail for a total of 3 and the water would not come out. The holes are below the level of the tray that it sits in, but the vacuum won't let the water come out. I will try to get the pics in, it keeps coming up as a failure to upload.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: The water level is below the drilled holes of the bucket, but it does not fill up in the tray.

The water does not come up to the holes as I thought it was supposed to. Not sure how to fix, Any help would be great.
    I think your holes are too small.

I'd use a hacksaw or jig saw blade and turn them into slots that go all the way to the edge of the bucket and see if that doesn't fix things

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  6. chipahoy4

May 26, 2013
    That,s my next move. Sounds like that might work. Thanks for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by