Need help with a farm name DRUM ROLL!

Quote:
lau.gif
I LOVE IT!

CGR is a cute idea, if only to make people think. Ours is Whadat. As in people always are going What is THAT?!?! to some of the critters. Or most of them.

Quote:
Naming farms is not common around here either. It's usually just "the Anderson Farm" or "the Smith's Farm" or the like. Many of the dairy farms have milk producer association signs out front and they are usually just labeled like "Bill and Mary Smith.

When we started selling eggs locally we pondered names, but the name that said the most was our family name. We'd seen people selling local eggs labeled "Circle T Ranch" or "Green Acres" with a other explanations on the label "Locally Produced and Hand Packed by the Family". Our first questions were always, "What family?" and "Which farm would that be?"

We use a stamp on our cartons like this (not my real name or place):

McDonald Family Eggs
Ourtown, WI
Certified Organic by MOSA - Viroqua, WI

We felt that that said a lot more about our eggs being from a local family farm, as well as organic, than a number of labels could provide.

On another note, I went into the one of the local taverns for lunch last year and brought some eggs in for the owner. There was a half-dozen young "counter-culture" types in there having lunch. I was thinking that they might be interested in some organic eggs, so I asked them if they wanted to buy some. One gal turned up her nose at my eggs and said "No thanks". Then a fellow explained that they interned at a large organic farm in the area where they produced eggs and a few hundred acres of vegetables. He pointed to the T-shirts that several of them were wearing and said "We work at "Happy Acres Organic Farm"" (or something of that ilk). He then asked the name of our farm. I said "MY farm..." With the emphasis on MY. They wished me well, but I came away from that thinking that they were some sort of organic snobs, probably college kids from Madison interning for the summer who think they are the only ones who can do it "right".

I found the emphasis on which farm they worked at and asking the name of ours was kind of strange and that kind of tipped me off that they probably weren't from around here.

Quote:
Naming farms is not common around here either. It's usually just "the Anderson Farm" or "the Smith's Farm" or the like. Many of the dairy farms have milk producer association signs out front and they are usually just labeled like "Bill and Mary Smith.

Most of the places around here that do have names aren't farms, just houses in the country with a horse or two.

I really do love the funny and cute names. However, if we are using the farm/ranch name to registered papered offspring, I think I would have better luck building a good reputation with something more stuffy.
hmm.png

Quote:

Most of the places around here that do have names aren't farms, just houses in the country with a horse or two.

Yes, we have a few like that around here too. One of our neighbors has a little log home back in the woods and keeps a number of horses and a half dozen chickens. When we moved in here a couple of years ago I asked another neighbor to cut our our alfalfa and make some small bales for us to use as bedding/forage in the layer barn. He hadn't made small bales in years, but he dragged out his old baler, tuned it up and cut, raked, and baled for us at 75 cents a bale. He told me not to tell the other neighbors (with the horses) what he charged me because he quoted them a whole lot more before they found somebody else to do it. He figured if they could afford to keep horses then they could afford to pay him a reasonable price.

Back
Top Bottom