Need help with a hurt duck

YoSkiFarm

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 4, 2013
Wallis, Texas
We found a medium size duck on the edge of our pond. It is dragging its left leg and has visible small wounds on the head and neck. Is there anything I can do to help this little guys survive?

Can you describe it more? White? Brown? Are you willing to devote some time, space and medical help? I think the only way to help it would be to bring it in and provide a safe environment and care and decent food and water.

If it is a wild species, then a wildlife rehabilitator needs to be called.

One of our lady ducks was attacked by a dog several months ago. After much reading and research, we prepared a big dog kennel with clean hay, water and food, and put it in a dark quiet bathroom. Clean the wounds as well as possible, then cover wounds with Neosporin. I did this daily for about a week until wounds started to heal over. As far as leg, it depends on severity. Some get better with rest, others I have had to use a homemade boot. I bent a light strip metal to shape of leg, wrapped it with vet wrap or gauze, them attach with vet wrap or ace wrap. Not too tight. You will need to check daily. Remember to keep her warm if she seems shocky. After a week of rest and attention, our girl was better and moved outside into her own pen so she could be with family, yet safe. I hope she makes it;)

Back
Top Bottom