need help with a newly hatched chick who has a limp leg

annahuang1102

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 26, 2014
Hi,
Could anyone give me some idea as how to help this little folk with a limp leg? He just hatched yesterday but he has been struggling to get up with no success since one of its leg doesn't seem to be able to help him get up. Thanks.

images

Welcome to BYC!

Sounds like this little guy may have spraddle leg, where the leg or legs are too weak to stand or the surfaces in the incubator were too slippery for him. Here is a link to helping chicks with spraddle leg. You can use a bandaid as well if you don't have vet wrap as used in this article...

http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2012/04/spraddle-leg.html

You may need to leave these on for a few days till his legs strengthen. Good luck with your chick and if you have any more trouble, let us know. Welcome to our flock!

images

Welcome to BYC!

Sounds like this little guy may have spraddle leg, where the leg or legs are too weak to stand or the surfaces in the incubator were too slippery for him. Here is a link to helping chicks with spraddle leg. You can use a bandaid as well if you don't have vet wrap as used in this article...

http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2012/04/spraddle-leg.html

You may need to leave these on for a few days till his legs strengthen. Good luck with your chick and if you have any more trouble, let us know. Welcome to our flock!
I tried to give some more energy to the chick since he was struggling so much. So I fed him honey water but it seemed like it became more tired and having shallow breathing like it's going to die. Any idea why? Thanks.

Honey is not good for chicks. Use a couple tablespoons of sugar instead and try the spraddle leg treatment if he is unable to stand.

Thanks. Not only is he unable to stand, his right foot is curled up, like he is paralyzed. I am not sure whether he has marek's disease or not. It's distressing to see the little fellow struggles all the time trying to stand up. I did use the vet wrap but it didn't seem to work since his right foot is curled up and not opening up like his left side.

Back
Top Bottom