Need help with a question?

pooh731

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 10, 2011
Hanford, ca
My EE roo 'Mellow' was breeding with my EE hen 'Brownie' on 9-2-2011 and he died on 9-3-2011. My 'brownie' has not laid an egg yet, but when she does will it be fertile to where she can hatch it. The were both 20 weeks old and how long will she be fertile when she lays an egg. Please help me.

Last edited:
Are you sure, I was hoping that he breed her before he died, so I could let her hatch her eggs when she starts laying

Aww, so sorry you lost your rooster. If your EE hasn't even layed yet, there isn't much of a chance for her to have fertile eggs when she starts. My EEs didn't start laying until around the 25th week. Plus, you don't want to try and hatch pullet eggs, they can be smallish and a bit irregular at times.

Another thing is, they don't automatically try to hatch their eggs. They have to go broody, and that typically doesn't happen with young pullets, as soon as they begin laying.

So sorry this isn't the news you want to hear,
Sharon

Hens retain a high level of fertility for 2 weeks after removal from a rooster. Some fertility may remain for up to 4 weeks but at diminishing levels. Even if she starts laying tomorrow, it is very unlikely that she will go broody that quickly; therefore, you would have to find an alternative way of incubating these hypothetical eggs.

Back
Top Bottom