Need help with a stubborn hen

TNbear23

In the Brooder
Nov 4, 2015
East TN
I have a hen that has decided to roost in a tree next to the coop. It all started when we got home after dark one evening and their coop door had gotten closed by the wind. I was able to get everyone else in except her, she was too high. The following evening she did it again even though the door was open. I was able to get her this time.The next evening I herded everyone in early to make sure I got her before she got in the tree. I kept everyone lock up for the next several days hoping this would reacquaint her to where she should sleep. Nope, she went back to the tree, I was able to get her down and in the coop. I did the lock down again but it's not working with her. I have to make sure I herd everyone in before dusk. There is nothing wrong with the coop everyone else goes in. Her and a roo were the first chickens I got and they are inseparable except for this. I am getting so aggravated with this. We have a very large owl around our place and I'm afraid he will get her. I know this might sound crazy but I don't think my Roo would be the same if he lost her. they seem to be a couple. Is there any way to stop her from doing this? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

I would suggest to keep it up with the lock up. Maybe a good week and try again. Hopefully after that time, she will have forgotten about her perch in the tree, and will be comfortable in the coop again. If not, lock them up again. You'll only be doing her a favor by teaching her where the roosting place is, considering the alternative (dinner for an owl). Some are just as you said: stubborn, and take longer to learn. However, with repetitive "discipline", I bet she'll get the hint eventually.

Put something on or near the favourite branch..Make it scary like blowing plastic or what ever you can think of...?
I bet she will go to the coop to sleep after that?
I have thought about doing that but I am concerned she will find another tree and I won't be able to find her. Our place is heavily wooded. I think I am going to have to be a little more stubborn then her and just keep trying the lock down and then if that doesn't work scare her. Thanks

If it were my problem, if that limb could be cut I would take it down. All the limbs on that tree that were accessible to her, gone. Then if she goes to another tree, then I'd continue with what ur doin and lock her in. Does she roost there in that tree by herself?

If it were my problem, if that limb could be cut I would take it down. All the limbs on that tree that were accessible to her, gone. Then if she goes to another tree, then I'd continue with what ur doin and lock her in. Does she roost there in that tree by herself?
LOL....just picturing someone cutting down all the limbs in a wooded area...SMH. Silly.

Welcome to BYC @TNbear23 !!
I'd go with locking down for a longer period of time for now.

But, would ask for more info......
.....to maybe figure out why she chooses to roost in the trees,
it's hard to solve a problem unless you know why it occurred.

How many birds, what ages, and how long have you had them?
How big is your coop and run(feet by feet)?
How much roost length do you have(in feet)?
Pics of coop/run inside and out would help too.

Lol...yeah that would be kinda stupid right? Only I thought we were talking about 1limb here? Maybe I missed the part about her roosting in a whole "wooded area". Since Chickens are creatures of habit (which I'm sure u know that oh wise one), Call me "silly" but removing access is the only thing I've seen that works. But thanks for setting me straight. SMH

LOL....just picturing someone cutting down all the limbs in a wooded area...SMH. Silly.

Welcome to BYC @TNbear23
!!
I'd go with locking down for a longer period of time for now.

But, would ask for more info......
.....to maybe figure out why she chooses to roost in the trees,
it's hard to solve a problem unless you know why it occurred.

How many birds, what ages, and how long have you had them?
How big is your coop and run(feet by feet)?
How much roost length do you have(in feet)?
Pics of coop/run inside and out would help too.

It took me a few days of being on this site to remember why I QUIT THIS SITE last year?
Shout out to THE CHICKEN JUGGLER for reminding me and saving me a lot of wasted time.
Being PATRONIZED is not what I came here for. Moving on.

Back
Top Bottom