need help with a waterer cup thing

DragunzGirl

Crowing
15 Years
Aug 9, 2008
GA
I bought a few of them red water cups. I put one into a bottle cap and put it onto the bottle, well the chicken will hit the yellow stick and water will come out but when they go back to get more, no more comes out.. I see a air bubble keeps getting stuck in the part that is right inside the bottle. HOW do i stop that from happening???

sorry lol, ummm see if this works. I THINK i found out what i need to do, I think i need to put a tube in the bottle.

You just need to put a small hole in the top of your bottle so air can get in when water runs out the bottom. No tube required.

You do realize that using these in a bottle won't last very long, once your birds get to be 4 to 6 weeks old a water bottle will need to be filled daily maybe twice daily. You can use these same cups in the side of a 5 gal bucket near the bottom. Drill a 11/16 hole and screw them in. The best way is to build an entire system with PVC pipe and some type of reservoir for the water.

Do a search in this same forum section and you will find all sorts of systems people have built using these cups and or nipples. Here is a couple picture of one part of mine.

It seems logical that it should be letting air in without having to punch holes in the bottle.
Do you see anything on it that looks adjustable?
Do you have the name of the company and model?

I've got a bunch of the cup waterers that you show in the picture and they will not work on a sealed system. There must be some way for air to enter the system to replace the water that runs out. The cups aren't adjustable and aren't designed to work on a sealed system. With no way for air to get in you are forming a vacumn which is holding the water in the bottle. You don't have to have multiple holes just one about the size of a pencil lead will do fine.

Bear Foot as long as you have been involved with chickens I would have thought that you had some experience with these before. There is nothing on the waterer that is adjustable. You buy these from Amazon, Ebay or one of the many online poultry supple stores and they mostly don't advertise a manufacture or model number, most don't even give complete instructions on how to install just basic stuff. Here is only one seller from ebay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pack-Poultry-Water-Drinking-Cups-Chicken-Hen-Plastic-Automatic-Drinker-USA-/281130742329?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4174b2b239, hope that link works.

I saw one seller that had the complete bottle setup and they did have a tube attached to the bottle cap that ran all the way to the top of the bottle. actually bottom of the bottle but you use it upside down. That would be real good if you were going to continue to use it for a long time but if you plan on building something better when your birds grow up a hole in the bottle would be a lot easier and last plenty long enough. The tube is doing the same thing, allowing air in the bottle to replace the water that runs out.

Yep if there is any pressure (no air inlet) water will not flow. Suck water up into a straw and hold your finger over the top and see if the water runs out the bottom. Not until you lift your finger off the top of the straw!

The tube allows the needed air flow without water leaking out when you are filling the bottle.
I was able to put a tube into a bottle to avoid the leaking whilst filling and avoid the exorbitant price of buying a bottle with the tube already installed..but I am a pretty handy chick, lol.
Now I just need to fashion a better bottle holder.

Quote: No, I've always used the type you fill and flip over, or fill from the top and seal with the lid,

It seems stupid to make a product such as this that doesn't allow air to enter as needed, unless they were never really meant to be used on a bottle, which is what I suspect is the case

Most cups of this style are designed for "low pressure" systems

No, I've always used the type you fill and flip over, or fill from the top and seal with the lid,

It seems stupid to make a product such as this that doesn't allow air to enter as needed, unless they were never really meant to be used on a bottle, which is what I suspect is the case

Most cups of this style are designed for "low pressure" systems
Exactly Bear Foot, they weren't designed to be used on a bottle to begin with and were made for low pressure pipe systems. Someone figured out you could put it on a bottle if you also made a way for air to enter the reservoir as water comes out

Back
Top Bottom