Need help with aggression in mallards

Accidentally Ducked

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2021
I have three domestic mallards, two females and one male - Norris, Sassy, and Seven. (I used to have 4, but one recently escaped.) They are almost 7 months old. Recently, one of the females (female Norris) has started showing aggressive behaviors and picking on the other ducks. In the daytime, they were all turned out with each other in their duck run. At night, they would go into their coop together, but because of the recent aggressiveness, I’ve had to start separating them. I was separating the hens from the drakes, until I caught female Norris brutally attacking female Sassy all night on our duck cam. Now, all three are separated at night. I tried rotating them outside with each other in their run, but yesterday male Seven attacked female Norris. Male Seven seems to be getting along with female Sassy, but I think they have started to bond because I had them out together more often because they weren’t aggressive.

How long is all of this aggressiveness going to last? I am disabled and I can’t keep up with all of the work with cleaning 3 separate coops, separate water containers, rotation outside, etc. Is there anything I can do to help them get along better? I am physically and mentally exhausted trying to manage them. Please help!

I have three domestic mallards, two females and one male - Norris, Sassy, and Seven. (I used to have 4, but one recently escaped.) They are almost 7 months old. Recently, one of the females (female Norris) has started showing aggressive behaviors and picking on the other ducks. In the daytime, they were all turned out with each other in their duck run. At night, they would go into their coop together, but because of the recent aggressiveness, I’ve had to start separating them. I was separating the hens from the drakes, until I caught female Norris brutally attacking female Sassy all night on our duck cam. Now, all three are separated at night. I tried rotating them outside with each other in their run, but yesterday male Seven attacked female Norris. Male Seven seems to be getting along with female Sassy, but I think they have started to bond because I had them out together more often because they weren’t aggressive.

How long is all of this aggressiveness going to last? I am disabled and I can’t keep up with all of the work with cleaning 3 separate coops, separate water containers, rotation outside, etc. Is there anything I can do to help them get along better? I am physically and mentally exhausted trying to manage them. Please help!
That aggression sounds like something more than just pecking order, very strange. Is Sassy in any way injured or sick? If so, they other female could sense it.

It mainly sounds to me like you've got a bossy female who won't get along. Maybe the male will put her in her place?

That aggression sounds like something more than just pecking order, very strange. Is Sassy in any way injured or sick? If so, they other female could sense it.

It mainly sounds to me like you've got a bossy female who won't get along. Maybe the male will put her in her
Sassy did hurt her foot a couple of weeks ago, but this aggression by Norris started before then, and it was directed at the males instead. I can’t figure out why my male would now attack Norris. So it’s off to Tractor Supply AGAIN to pick up a divider for the run. They all seem to be ok for the most part when there is a barrier between them. They are soooo much work!

What type of ducks? My dominant muscovy female behaves this way when she is penned in the run. I have to separate my 2 female muscovies. When they get to free range, it isnt an issue. It's a never ending circus.
These are domestic mallards. “A never ending circus” is the perfect way to describe it all. I had them all in the pen today together, and the male and one female kept trying to hide behind me to get away from the aggressive female. They all have to be separated at night now. I hope this behavior doesn’t last long.

These are domestic mallards. “A never ending circus” is the perfect way to describe it all. I had them all in the pen today together, and the male and one female kept trying to hide behind me to get away from the aggressive female. They all have to be separated at night now. I hope this behavior doesn’t last long.
Hey, I know it’s been a while since you posted this, but I’m curious now, how has everything been going? Has Norris gotten less aggressive?

Back
Top Bottom