Need help with birds gaining weight....

Shadowhills Farm

Songster
12 Years
Nov 14, 2009
DuPont, Washington
We have a couple of birds that I think are underweight (you can feel their breastbone, very prominent and can feel hips too). We have been feeding them 20% starter/grower mixed with 16% layer three times a day (morning, noon, night). They also get scratch mixed in with the feed, and Gamebird/Showbird supplement (24% protein) as well.

They will be getting wormed tomorrow, and then two weeks from tomorrow.

Is there anything else I can add to get them back up to their normal weights? Two are bantams and one is a standard.

Thanks!

Quote:
t.

Stop mixing the scratch in with the feed and leave the feed out for them all day. I leave the feed out 24/7, but if you have a rodent problem it's best to pull it at nigh

Quote:
t.

Stop mixing the scratch in with the feed and leave the feed out for them all day. I leave the feed out 24/7, but if you have a rodent problem it's best to pull it at nigh

They are in quarantine right now (our Laundry room). I am afraid to overfeed them. But they do dump some of their feed into their cage.

Most chickens won't eat more feed than they need. They will hog out on the scratch though, and not get all the nutrients they need from it. Yours are probably dumping the good stuff while looking for the candy (scratch).

Quote:
I think they walk all over the dish, which is why they dump it. But I will stop giving them scratch.

We have only had them since this past Friday, so maybe I'm rushing things.

It takes some time to put weight on (except for me
hmm.png
) Do take the scratch out though, it's chicken candy and I'm sure that tammyd57 is right about them making more of a mess looking for it. What do you have them living in right now? Is there any way to fasten a feeder so they can't dump it? It really would be better to leave the feed out for them if they are underweight.

Back
Top Bottom