Need help with breed please

Personal experience they cannot be sexed at hatch.

Can you explain what you mean by this?
I know some people are sold second generation sex links from private breeders (I use the term "breeders" loosely in this context) ie chicks hatched from sex link parents and the colour-sex linkage does not continue into that second generation, so what they expect to be red pullets are not.

What was your experience? Did you breed your own sex links?

They came from tractor supply and they just told me isa browns, however I thought I was told different at initial purchase. So, if I understand correctly good for fair showmanship next year, can't be used for open, and good egg layers. Thank you everyone.

Next question how noisy are these girls going to be? We only have seven.

Sometimes people erroneously call them Rhode Island Reds or possibly Production Reds but they aren't. From what I have read, many of the employees at Tractor Supply have no idea about chickens, so there is a lot of misinformation from them. That said, it is pretty likely that they are ISA Browns.
I can't advise about which classes a the fair they can be entered in as I'm in the UK and things will no doubt be done differently here. The schedule should help you to identify which classes they would qualify for and if you are not sure the secretary should be able to advise.

Good luck showing them

Regards

Barbara

PS. Noisiness is an individual thing. Some hens are really vocal and others are quite quiet. The vocal ones are usually the real characters!

Sometimes people erroneously call them Rhode Island Reds or possibly Production Reds but they aren't. From what I have read, many of the employees at Tractor Supply have no idea about chickens, so there is a lot of misinformation from them. That said, it is pretty likely that they are ISA Browns.
I can't advise about which classes a the fair they can be entered in as I'm in the UK and things will no doubt be done differently here. The schedule should help you to identify which classes they would qualify for and if you are not sure the secretary should be able to advise.

Good luck showing them

Regards

Barbara

PS. Noisiness is an individual thing. Some hens are really vocal and others are quite quiet. The vocal ones are usually the real characters!

Back
Top Bottom