Need help with breeds and genders please!

ChickenNugget89

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2015
They are all between 2-3 weeks old.

Hi there! I'd say that your white ones are most likely leghorns or amberlinks, and your black ones are most likely black australorps, as those are common breeds that feed stores get in. Your little red one is probably a production red. It's a bit too early to tell genders.

Does the fifth chick down have gray on its head or is that just a shadow in the pictures?

However, the sixth chick down in these pictures looks like it could be a Cornish cross, which is a meat bird. They grow too fast and too heavy for their body to keep up and usually need to be butchered before eight weeks of age or they can have heart attacks and actually have their legs break under their own weight. I hope you knew it was a meat bird and it wasn't sold to you as a layer :(

Last edited:
The chick does have gray on his head.

And yes, the 6th one down was sold as a layer. :( I'm not eating my chickens so I'll just hope for the best. Of course he/she is super sweet and friendly. :(

I think some people have had luck in keeping them alive by rationing their feed and making sure they can't eat as much as they'd like to. You might want to do a search for that on here and see if you can find it. Just keep an eye on it - if it's gobbling down feed and growing much faster than the others it's likely a Cornish cross. They get into the other bins sometimes - just yesterday I had to tell them to remove one from the silkie bin before someone ended up with it on accident.

I'm not sure what the little gray headed chick could be, hopefully someone else will pop in who knows. Also, was the top chick sold as a pullet? I looked at some earlier pictures you posted and it looks like it has two little stripes down its back. Is it yellow as it appears in the picture or is it more reddish in real life? After seeing that other picture I'm wondering if she's a sex link.

Well, I have 2 that are identical in size and are over double the size of my other chicks of the same age...so looks like Cornish cross.

I don't remember what the top chick was sold as. He/she is more reddish in real life

I'm leaning toward sex link then. Does she have any reddish or brownish feathers coming in anywhere? If she starts to get red feathers she would be a sex link, and a female.

Back
Top Bottom