Need help with coop design

Jesusfreak101

Songster
Sep 2, 2015
Texas
My Coop
My Coop
OK so we going to be buying a house that has a much smaller amount of land and I am going from 30+ birds to eight. So I need coop and run ideals and how to keep smell down. We had them on rotating on two different yards both 1300sqft and option of more so I haven't had to deal with a closed run.

I can definitely identify with this as we just recently did the same thing - sold my flock of 25 early last summer, moved from IN to OR, and we are just now building a new coop/run setup that will house my flock of a measly 6 birds
hit.gif
(even that requires a special permit as the limit where we are now, within city limits, is 3!!!!)
We're overbuilding a bit in regards to the coop - it's a 4x8 footprint walk-in style coop - because I like being able to go inside the coop and because my DH and FIL don't know how to build anything without overdoing it, lol. We're doing an enclosed run that will be about 8x15 (that may actually expand once we get ready to put it up, we're debating configuration)....and we'll let them out into the rest of the fenced back yard when we are home and able to supervise to assure no one gets into trouble/gets any ideas about going over the privacy fence (clipping one wing just in case).
With regards to odor - I like to use a deep layer of different bio mass -- grass clippings, leaf litter, pulled weeds, mulch, etc - think of it as replicating what builds up on a forest floor -- this helps to absorb and breakdown the chicken waste and eliminate odor. As needed just top off with a new layer of materiel. I've used this approach many times and have had several instances of people visiting the chickens and commenting that there was "no smell" or "I thought they'd stink, but I can't smell anything". I'm a low maintenance approach person, so this works or me -- inside the coop I use deep litter on the floor and a poop board with PDZ under the roost. Alternatively you can use sand, pea gravel, etc that can be raked/sifted/etc to remove the waste.

Back
Top Bottom