Need Help with Coop (pic Heavy)

aurorarose25

Songster
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Mesa, Az
Ok So my dad just got done putting all the walls on the coop & we are having a bit of trouble with where to put ventilation holes due to don't know what kind or where to put cages. Had a few ideas of cage placements but need some ideas from you guys to help sort out the kinks.
The coop is 18ft wide by 24ft long. The highest point of slope is 7ft and the lowest is 6ft.
Please let me know your thoughts.

Thnx
South side view

East side wall middle inside

East side wall left side

East side wall right side

Inside view of south facing enterance

South enterance other wall

West facing wall aka other wall

North facing enterance

I would put ventilation holes all the way around the top of the coop, as well as an exhaust fan in the roof. Then I would also think about lower ventilation holes/windows that could be opened/close as needed midway up the walls. You want to draw the fresh air in from a lower point and then get it out from up top to help cool and give fresh air, plus if it's really hot, some direct breeze.

I assume mesa is HOT........I would vent the top 10-12 inches all the way around.....maybe a few low vents as well.....Make the doors out of hardware cloth maybe.

Chickens can handle cold much better than heat In Arizona, you need a lot of ventialtion in the summer. I checked and it looks like you hardly even see freezing temperatures inthe winter. People on the Gulf Coast don't even need four walls. They do great with three solid walls with the fourth wall wire. I'd certainly think you could do that.

What I'd strongly suggest is to take out the top one foot or so fo the walls under the overhang. Cover that with wire to keep predators from climbing in, but leave that open year round. if you want to open even more on the other walls, that would be even better. Heat is dangerous. Small ventilation holes don't help as much as big areas. As little rain as you get, I'd not worry about just limiting it to under the overhangs.

I don't see any windows. If you open up the area under the overhang and cover that with wire, you will let in quite a bit of light. I'd still put one or more windows. You can possibly get some pretty cheaply off Craigslist or maybe you have one of those habitat recycling places nearby where you can get recycled building materials pretty cheaply. Windows are not hard to make either. Cut out a hole and frame around it. Your studs already make the sides, just put in a couple of horizontals. Then cover that with wire. You just made a window. If you wish, you can make a shutter or covering that can go over it, but in your climate, that is probably not necessary.

I'm not sure what you mean by cages? Nest boxes?

Chickens can handle cold much better than heat In Arizona, you need a lot of ventialtion in the summer. I checked and it looks like you hardly even see freezing temperatures inthe winter. People on the Gulf Coast don't even need four walls. They do great with three solid walls with the fourth wall wire. I'd certainly think you could do that.
What I'd strongly suggest is to take out the top one foot or so fo the walls under the overhang. Cover that with wire to keep predators from climbing in, but leave that open year round. if you want to open even more on the other walls, that would be even better. Heat is dangerous. Small ventilation holes don't help as much as big areas. As little rain as you get, I'd not worry about just limiting it to under the overhangs.
I don't see any windows. If you open up the area under the overhang and cover that with wire, you will let in quite a bit of light. I'd still put one or more windows. You can possibly get some pretty cheaply off Craigslist or maybe you have one of those habitat recycling places nearby where you can get recycled building materials pretty cheaply. Windows are not hard to make either. Cut out a hole and frame around it. Your studs already make the sides, just put in a couple of horizontals. Then cover that with wire. You just made a window. If you wish, you can make a shutter or covering that can go over it, but in your climate, that is probably not necessary.
I'm not sure what you mean by cages? Nest boxes?

Individual breeding cages for the few breeds I am breeding & showing.. Also this will hold brooders and grow out pens for chicks..

I agree with Ridgerunner. You don't have enough ventilation. I live in TX and my coop is solid on the north side and the other 3 are covered in hardware cloth. Heat is a way bigger problem than cold. You just want to protect from wind. Follow Ridgerunner's suggestions and you'll be in good shape.

I like the ventilation suggestions already posted. I would definitely add windows also. Don't have to be fancy just covered with hardware cloth.

i hate saying this but your henhouse will be a hotbox where you are..you need to cut out 4 windows an frame them.and cover them with hardware clothe.

My dad says that it would alter the integrity of the structure.. He is an engineer...

cutting windows in the plywood wont hurt anything....just cut the ply and cover with hardware cloth...same for doors.........you needs lots of airflow

Back
Top Bottom