Need help with Corid dosage

Hi again ChickensAreSweet,

Here we are at day 5 of the Corid Rx for all 19. Sara hen is amazingly improved. She thought my lower lip might be something to eat today. Oh Yuck!!! a chicken kiss!!!.....spit, spit, spit!!!

Early morning Poo Patrol Report.....reporting from under the roost....Looks like one hen still (can't figure out which one) still has milk chocolately colored droppings about the consistency of melted chocolate (even when I was nursing we described baby BM's as foods..ie dijon mustard, seedy, pasty, etc ) Then I found one nicely formed stool with a white cap and very obvious fresh blood. Mr Boaz Roo now has formed olivey/tan poops. Most of the droppings looks normal..formed and white caps.

In light of the blood and loose one should I continue Corid or pronounce them on the good road to recovery? Does it take awhile for the blood to leave? This is the first time I've seen it...but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. With pine shavings things get coated pretty quickly.

One thing. Most of the girls' combs are so pale pink they are pracitically white. I seem to remember them darker pink or some more toward red. hmmm

Hello Dawg53,

So I have seen amazing improvement, except for a couple of chickens' poops. ( see post above ) In light of that should I let the majority rule and quit the Rx after today. Have you seen it take awhile for blood in the droppings to disappear. Why would one still have pasty diarrhea while the others seems fine??

Here we are at day 5 of the Corid Rx for all 19. Sara hen is amazingly improved. She thought my lower lip might be something to eat today. Oh Yuck!!! a chicken kiss!!!.....spit, spit, spit!!!

Early morning Poo Patrol Report.....reporting from under the roost....Looks like one hen still (can't figure out which one) still has milk chocolately colored droppings about the consistency of melted chocolate (even when I was nursing we described baby BM's as foods..ie dijon mustard, seedy, pasty, etc ) Then I found one nicely formed stool with a white cap and very obvious fresh blood. Mr Boaz Roo now has formed olivey/tan poops. Most of the droppings looks normal..formed and white caps.

In light of the blood and loose one should I continue Corid or pronounce them on the good road to recovery? Does it take awhile for the blood to leave? This is the first time I've seen it...but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. With pine shavings things get coated pretty quickly.

One thing. Most of the girls' combs are so pale pink they are pracitically white. I seem to remember them darker pink or some more toward red. hmmm
The milk chocolately droppings are most likely cecal poop which is normal about every 8 excretions or so.
The one with the white cap and fresh blood could possibly be shed intestinal lining or still has a cocci problem. If it's cocci, she probably didnt drink enough of the treated water to be effective. You'll have to find out which one it is and treat accordingly. Here's a link to the poop chart to help you determine if it's shed intestinal lining or coccidia.
http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Last edited:

I agree with dawg53. If there is still actual blood (not shed intestinal lining) in the poo, then that chicken would

need more treatment. I have a couple of times had to go with two 5 day courses, as the bloody poos came back after a few days.

If you cannot determine who is pooing actual blood, then I'd just keep on going with the Corid for the 7 days and then see how things are.

Caecal poos (every 8 poos or so is normal) are normal and liquid. They can look very dark green/brown.

No, in my experience after giving Corid the bloody poo disappears after 24 hours or so.

It sounds like your roo is getting better now that he has formed poops.

Big concern: the pale combs. That is NOT good.

It likely means they are anemic and have lost blood. I would definitely continue the Corid if it were me (but the reason being for the bloody poo, not the pale comb). I'd go to the grocery store and buy some eggs, scramble them, and serve them every day to the chickens in addition to their regular food, until I saw improvement in the combs. Scrambled eggs are excellent for chickens, as that is the chick's food as it grows.

Last edited:
Once I had a large group of chicks years ago who had recurring cocci, before I could find Corid-was using Sulmet, which are very hard on them, plus probably wasn't very effective on the type they had. They were treated, then re-treated and I believe, I treated them a 3rd time, poor things.

Mine were looking very anemic and the advice I was given was to cook up (don't shoot me!) some chicken livers and feed them those for a few days. I did it and they were on the mend quickly. Lots of nutritional punch there. Guess you could use beef liver if that grosses you out too much, but I took the unconventional advice and it worked well.

Thanks all 3 who responded just now. Do you think stress from the big bad roo could be affecting them?

Dawg53, do you concur on staying on the Corid the full 7?

C.A.S.you had said nothing but their feed and Corid water during treatment. Should I break protocol and do the scrambled eggs? I've done scrambled yolks but not the whole egg in the past. They loved it at first and then sort of stuck their thier little 'noses' up at it.

Chicken livers from the gorcery store....I bet they would love 'em.

I've got more questions but that'll do for now. ( I was thinking anaemia this morning when I was coaxing a couple of them to take some drops from me. )

Just an aside. I got my chickens from through the local L&M Fleet store up here in Northern MN. They were not able to tell me if the chicks were vaccinated for Marek's disease. Should I be doing something more for them because I think I can probably safely assume they were not......I think. Sigh. Lots to learn.

Nope. Doesn't gross me out at all, S.H. I actually ate chicken livers regularly when I lived in the middle east. Beef was very expensive. Chicken liver pate was common.

I think I just may follow this advice, but I need to know if I have to wait til the Corid regime is done. I am very concerned about their pale combs now. I just thought that was the BO's are. Guess not.

[Hey, we love to watch the deer, especially the fawns at this time of year....but we eat venison, too. Not callous about it. Sometimes I feel a bit sad but it's the way things are]

Nope. Doesn't gross me out at all, S.H. I actually ate chicken livers regularly when I lived in the middle east. Beef was very expensive. Chicken liver pate was common.

I think I just may follow this advice, but I need to know if I have to wait til the Corid regime is done. I am very concerned about their pale combs now. I just thought that was the BO's are. Guess not.

[Hey, we love to watch the deer, especially the fawns at this time of year....but we eat venison, too. Not callous about it. Sometimes I feel a bit sad but it's the way things are]

You can feed them different foods while on Corid. You just don't want to give them artificial vitamin packs and the like while on Corid, as the Corid is trying to replace thiamine uptake in the cocci. So if you give lots of thiamine then you are making it harder for the Corid to work. That is my understanding of it.

I would definitely try some supportive foods to get that color back in their combs while on the Corid.

Thanks again, C.A.S. I can certainly overthinking things. I hear I'm not the only one of us whose DH's think we're in chikin idolatry.

I found the little one with a bit of blood in the stools: (my runt Scuffiluppiggus...AKA Scruffy)....caught her in the act. Not sure if it's shed intestinal mucosa or stringy clots. Liiks more like the shed intestine, but just not sure. So I put her in the portable dog kennel with some Corid mush and she took some as I was not able to get her to take water from me.

Well, I had run out of eggs so just took their grower feed and made a mush with the Corid water and they snarfed 'er down. Tomorrow will be day 7 and that'll be it for now. will be concentrating on the nutrition now. So far I'm thinking the scrambled eggs and also the chicken livers...if I can find them in Bemidji.

Another question, though, related to water. We have reverse osmosis drinking water so (until the Corid Rx) I was adding a little electrolytes and vitamins to the water. Our well water has relatively high nitrate levels as cows used to pasture on the knoll where our house is built. My DH wants me to use the well water for the flock. Don't quite know what to do. I guess I should do a search, but I imagine that if high nitrate levels are harmful to children that small animals or birds could also be harmed by it. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom