Need help with destructive GP Long

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by JupiterFarmer, Sep 3, 2009.

1. JupiterFarmer

JupiterFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Palm Beach County
    Our GP Bucephalus is turning an awesome dog only as long as he can't reach anything breakable and the gate is closed.

He's chew on nearly everything he can get his paws on. Shoes, plastic bags, paper, newspapers and my favorite pair of sandals, kinda my only usable ones. I gave him bones which he then took out to the yard to hide only to forget about them and get back to chewing on more of our stuff. Leaving pieces of it all over the garage or yard, basically making a huge mess for us to clean up

We never catch him in the act. Oh and putting pepper on things he is known to chew on doesn't help. He actually ripped opened a bag of crushed red pepper and ate it! What can we do to break him of this destructive chewing.

He also won't stay in the yard if the gate is opened for some one to leave the house. We then hafta to chase him down because he won't come back and there is a loose dog that dislikes him up our street.

He doesn't chase the chooks, and only need a one time correction when he tried to take a turkey poult as his playtoy. He generally ignores the hens unless its to sniff out eggs, or steal their food or to lay in a spot that they are already in. He lets them eat out of his food bowl and drink his water.

He knows basic training commands like shake, sit, down, stop, leave it, and away. He listens to those commands only when we are nearby like within five-10 feet otherwise its kike he doesn't want to hear us.

He's already guarding the yard and does spend time in the middle of our flock which deters the hawks around here. He will bark at strangers and the creepy neighbor who always watching us from a hiding spot or through the fence boards.

How can we stop his bad behavior?

We need him to stay in our yard for his own good because of the loose dog and the fact that people steal dogs around here and sell them for a profit. My mom wants rid of him because she thinks that that's a deal breaking problem

He can't eat eggs because that's how the hens earn their keep and teaching him to stay out of the coop would be helpful but we need a way to reinforce that when we aren't breathing down his neck.

Chewing on things would be dangerous because he ate an extrenstion cord already, it was unplugged but what if it wasn't? Dad wants rid of him because he knock down Dad's shoes from a table to chew on them and rips things in the garage.

We scold him as much as possible about chewing things, yell sharply when he tries to get into the coop or leave the yard. It works for only when we are there. What else can we do?

Would using a shock collar from the window be able to deter him from leaving the yard or entering the coop when he thinks we aren't watching?

Its either he straightens up or I gotta rehome him.

2. steelshot

steelshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    How old is he?

3. JupiterFarmer

Feb 14, 2009
    Palm Beach County
    He's a lil over 5 months old.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    He's in prime teething time. Our pup is five months old and he's teething too. Those big ol' canines are coming in.
    They are a bit expensive, but we bought several kong (hard flavored rubber) toys and have graduated him from the puppy nylabones to the strong chewer ones.
    We offer a large variety of acceptable toys to chew and rotate them out so he doesn't get bored with one. We've had zero problems with him chewing on household things.
    Good luck to you!
    ETA: A GP, like our GSD, is a working dog and has to have something to do or they'll find trouble. A couple good walks combined with a few games of fetch keeps our puppy too worn out to go looking for trouble to get into.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  5. steelshot

steelshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    Gritsar hit it on the head. He is teething just like a baby would. Give him plenty of chew toys. He will most likely out grow it.

6. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    Your puppy is bored out of his mind.

Chewing in this manner is a self rewarding behavior. That means that each time you let this happen, it is more likely to happen again. No matter WHAT YOU DO, you can never remove the joy and relief of frustration the dog got when he chewed things up.

So, step one is to remove all his chances to chew things he is not supposed to chew. Make sure he has plenty of items that he CAN chew. For me the best for puppies this age who are teething is a big raw knuckle bone. This give him something he would rather chew than anything else, and gives him plenty of ways to work his teeth and jaws. Your pup is right in the middle of the teething phase, so he is GOING to chew. You just have to make sure that what he is chewing is what he is supposed to chew.

Your puppy needs more exercise, both mentally and physically. What you are looking at now is what people mean when they say that not every breed is for every person. Many puppies of different breeds have a high energy level. Now is the time to take puppy class, and get your dog out in the field doing something.

So, the steps to stop this problem are:

1) PREVENT his opportunity to chew things he should not. Use crates, baby gates, kennels, etc to prevent his chance to chew anything he should not.

2) Provide him with good outlets for his chewing needs, preferably with things like natural raw bones that he will prefer over anything else.

3) Give him more EXERCISE, both mentally and physically. Get in a training class, and get this puppy BUSY, so he is tired when you are not working with him.

Good luck!

7. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    Also, IMO, it is not fair to expect a puppy this age to stay in your yard. Dogs need fencing to be safe. Otherwise, generally these stories do not have a happy ending.

8. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    I use an overhead trolly for my dog which allows her to exercise all day and not get into trouble.

9. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    I agree w/ Redyre. Your puppy is terribly bored.

Take him for LONG walks twice a day. He obviously needs some exercise.

Get him into an obedience class. He clearly needs to learn a recall. Or, there are a lot of good obedience training tips on line and lots of great books. You need to spend time training him and making him think more.

He isn't going to stay in your yard if you leave the gate open. He is only 5 months old. He's a baby puppy. He needs to be protected from himself and from the world in general. He should be in the backyard ONLY when the yard is secure and he can't get out.

The only time he should be loose in the house is under a person's supervision. Direct supervision - like they keep him in sight at all times. That way he won't chew a possibly plugged in extension cord and won't be able to destroy your other property. You can tie his leash to your belt and he can just follow you around if you have a busy day and feel like you can't keep a watch on him.

When your backyard is not secure (ie the gate is open) and somebody can't keep eyes on him in the house then he should be in a crate with a nice Kong or knuckle bone. Obviously he can't spend all the time in the crate but obviously you need to expend a little more time, thought and effort into raising your puppy.

Make him tired make him think. A physically and mentally tired puppy = a good puppy.

When you scold him and yell at him for chewing things you probably just increase his anxiety causing him to chew more things. If he has all kinds of pent up energy he is going to chew things for relief. If he is bored out of his mind he is going to chew things to relieve boredom. He may have chewed your favorite sandals because they smelled like you and that comforted him.

You can view all of the destructive behavior and undesirable behavior as a failure on your part to your puppy. His behavior and safe keeping are YOUR responsiblity.

10. JupiterFarmer

Feb 14, 2009
    Palm Beach County
    Quote:He took his butcher's leg bone, his two different rawhide bones and lost them as soon as he got them on different days. If I tied it down so he can chew but not move it.

We walk him but once he gets to the end of our block he doesn't want to go any farther at all, and who can blame him with the heat so its a early morning weekend thing or we take him swimming. He hates swiming most of all, he just sits in our pond.

He lost interest in playing with a tennis ball after 4 throws and hid the ball. T_T My dad got him a soccer ball and a basketball to play with. But he never tires himself off on playing with us with those balls. Just a teeny bursts of playfulness

I try to wrestle/run around with him daily but he shows no interest in doing anything past a few minutes.

He plays with the other dog at night when we send he out in attempt to get her trained to do her business outside. We cut him down on that because he kept getting her dirty.

Quote:I said I had a fence so read carefully a post even when its huge. The gate isn't always open only when we're leaving.

People steal dogs here hence why we made sure our fence is escape since we have a housedog much smaller than him here too.

He knocks things down to his range to chew on Redyre and he loses his bones out in the yard and forgets about them.

I've already spent most of my free spending money on the animals here. I don't have money to give him hundreds of toys that he'll lose in five minutes. Because I bought bags of rawhide bones and everyday they'd be gone and he'd be eating my shoes

Puppy classes are 100$ here and are only basic training. I review his tricks before I leave for class and after I put up the chooks. As long as his attention span holds it.

He's not high energy. I've tried getting him to play the most play I got out of him was 5 minutes our of a whole day of me being outside.

Quote:Did you make it or buy it. Can you have a decent range to it without risking entanglement?

We had him on a tie out when we weren't here to keep him from stealing eggs and avoiding eating him eatin chicken feed instead of dog food but he kept getting it stuck on stuff. One day he got his leg caught against a low hanging palm leaf some how, his foot was hurting for about two days but he's back to nromal now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by