Need help with dislocated hip on chick; please

noodleroo

Snuggles with Chickens
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Rockport, Tx
We had a pheasant (a golden, I think) hatch 3 days ago with what appears to be a dislocated hip. Its not spraddle leg, the leg is turned to the side and it keeps the leg straight behind it. The little thing has so much will to live that we really want to try to fix it up. It scoots around on its tummy because it can't stand upright. It can move the dislocated leg but just can't get it under itself to stand. Its eating, pooping and drinking fine. We tried to hobble it with pipe cleaners, bandaid, tape and rubber bands but none helped. Has anyone tried to manipulate a hip back into place on such a tiny little thing? It hatched this way so it doesn't know it is crippled. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I posted here figuring that more 'chicken' people would see it that have more experience with such things.

Last edited:
Is the other leg ok? My hen was hit by a car 2 years ago and broke her hip. I was told there was nothing to do but let it heal on its own. She learned how to move around on one leg by hopping and uses the other (broken hip side) as momentum. It is probably not standing because it needs time to gain strength.

The other hip seems fine. She can propel herself around really well with the normal leg. This is so out of my area because she is so tiny. I'm afraid to try anything not knowing what I'm doing and make it worse...

I put a pipe cleaner brace up close to the body (and hip) and one on the part between the foot and knee. It seems to keep it somewhat in line but I sure would like to hear from someone that has some experience with this.

Really, I don't think there is a way to fix it. It will most likely be crippled for life but it will learn to get around just fine. Hopper is able to get on a low perch and goes in the bottom nesting box. She has a best buddy and talks to me when she sees me. The only problem she has is when it gets too muddy. Then it gets more difficult to hop but she is a champ and tries her hardest to get to shelter.

I'm usually good at knowing what to do for injuries, but this baby is so tiny that I'm afraid I'm going to hurt it trying to tie its little legs together. And its so good at letting me do it! I held it while I fed it boiled egg and starter, and let it drink water from my finger. It has so much energy and is doing so well other than not being able to stand. I could still use some advice so anybody; what else can you think of?

Back
Top Bottom