Need help with dogs attacking

chickie fam

Songster
8 Years
Jan 31, 2011
Erwin, NC
One of our neighbors dogs keeps getting out and killing our chickens. We have lost 8 so far in just 2 weeks. The neighbors know their dog is doing this but haven't done anything about keeping it away. Any suggestions to keep our flock safe??

Contact animal control, check local laws concerning dogs killing livestock, warn the neighbors, shoot the dog. Harsh, yes, but the chickens deserve your protection.

We've contacted animal control and the sheriff and neither will do anything but warn the neighbors. We are allowed to shoot the dog if it's on our property but the problem is that we've only ever seen it once and the neighbor came and collected the dog before we could shoot it. I don't think it's harsh, I want the dog destroyed because it isn't going to stop. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to how to catch the dog so we can shoot it.

This has such a easy answer.
smile.png

You have the option of filing charges for damages. Sometimes that will get the owner to act, either to better confine the dog or get rid of it.

To just want the dog destroyed isn't the best reaction or thing to want. That's just wanting revenge on it, and the dog doesn't deserve revenge. You just want the damage to your property to stop. It shouldn't matter whether that's by the owner effectively keeping the dog up, or finding it a new home.

It'll cost, but a cage trap big enough for a dog. If you are clever, a snare set at an entry point will do too.

Forgot- a jaw trap for coyotes, tied to a stake is an idea.
We've shot two dogs, and caught one.

If you decide to trap you must do it properly.
I suggest a cable restraint at the point the dog keeps getting in.
cable restraints wont kill or damage dog. Double stake it down. Then take plenty of photos. Contact police id they wont help you could file a civil suit or just dispose of animal.

Back
Top Bottom