Need help with dogs attacking

I don't understand... Your neighbor knows his/her dog has killed EIGHT of your chickens and still doesn't do anything to resolve this situation??? What's wrong with that person? In my opinion, it is more than acceptable for you to react in any way you see fit at this point up to and including deadly force in regards to this dog. Of course, not sure of the legality but on my personal scale of right and wrong I don't see how this is wrong.

Best to SSS.The type of neighbor you have will freak if they find out you shot their dog.SSS and move on.SSS the next dog if the probelm reoccurs. Why fret over what to do? Why create a neighbor war? Just get rid of the problem.If you don't want to kill the dog take it very far away.

Best wishes whatever you decide to do.

I hit the owner of the Dog with a dead cochin --and charged him the replacement cost for a Pair of SQ cochins - Now I don't reccomend this action I mean whacking anyone even a Stupid dog owner was not the rational course of action but he added on to keep the dog secure and the chickens were safe --

I hit the owner of the Dog with a dead cochin --and charged him the replacement cost for a Pair of SQ cochins - Now I don't reccomend this action I mean whacking anyone even a Stupid dog owner was not the rational course of action but he added on to keep the dog secure and the chickens were safe --

lau.gif

Now there's a person after my own heart.

I hate saying it but you gotta shoot that dog. that dog will do anything possible to get over there and kill your chickens. Since the neighbor is not taking responsibility there is no choice now. SSS especially the shovel and shut up part.

You can shoot the dog, and that will probably make you feel better, and give you something to talk about at bowling, but IF you want the killing to stop you must address the real problem. You think only ONE dog will kill your chickens? You think the neighbors won't just get another dog? Do you want them to shoot your chickens if they wander over there?

You didn't say if your chickens are confined or not, but good fences make good neighbors. In 25 years I've never had a chicken killed by any of the loose running dogs in my neighborhood - I have a good fence (not to mention good dogs that keep them out). So, if your chickens are just loose, well, they are prey to a large number of things out there.

I can tell you one thing after 20 years as an animal control officer: the ONLY thing that makes people care for their dogs is when it HURTS THEM. Not the dog. And what hurts is paying for the dead stock. Take him to small claims court. Charge a LOT for those chickens. Believe me, that works FAR better than SSS which just results in more dogs being put in harms way.

I know its super annoying, and soooo tempting to blame the dog and take it out on him/her. But if you want results - deal with the REAL issue. Best of luck!

So very well said Srucon.
I have had marauding dogs jump my fence & kill baby mallard ducklings that my kids were playing with on our front lawn (not in the poultry pen at the time)
(The front lawn surrounded by a 4 foot cyclone fence though !)
The kids witnessed a horrific sight as this kindly dog "who would never hurt a fly " jumped on the kids & killed one after another of 5 ducklings they got for Easter.
I ran outside to the screaming of children & grabbed the dog & called animal control & they took the dog & dead birds as evidence.
The neighbors a block away were contacted & they said as you would expect "Our old Sally would never hurt a fly" but nonetheless they were required to pay resititution for our loss, and could not get their dog out of "jail" until I was reimbursed.
But that is nothing...mere dollars when it comes to buying chicks & raising them for months to begin lay.
Most people think you can go to any store & just buy a new chicken.
Seriously they have no idea how much money, time & love you put into your birds.
And you cannot just go buy another chicken "somewhere"

Protect your birds from idiots !
Never assume they
are going to fence in their dogs, ever.
Never trust the lives of your birds to anyone.
If it isn't a neighborhood dog, it will be a coyote, or raccon, or hawks, or Bobcats.

Last edited:
In North Carolina I am from there. there is an ordinance called dangerous dog act. it's not somethign they make well known. when these dogs are out you need to take pictures and file a report everytime date time incident. If the dogs have growled or snarled at you you need to file an incident report go to animal control within 3 days and file a sworn affidavit, Of the threatening manner of the dogs. You need to state in the reports everytime you are afraid for your childrens safety.If you file a sworn statement they must by law have a dangerous dog hearing by law I will look up some of the statutes and post them. you have to press issue even if it means calling everyday nights and weekends. I had to do this. the man thought he was above the law had a viscious dog, repeatedly tried to intimidate me on my own property. his dog was deemed dangerous. which means he must keep it in a kennel at all times with a top, with a padlock on the door. and if it is out it must be on a leash only controled by him kennel must have cement floor. every violation had a 500 fine all you need is a picture of dog of property. since he failed to keep his dog on property and cinfined and it attacked me for a 2nd time the dog was confiscated. you have aright to use force on your property to protect your self. You must always state you feared for your life! to protect your self.

§ 67-4.1. Definitions and procedures
(a) As used in this Article, unless the context clearly requires otherwise and except as modified in subsection (b) of this section, the term:
(1) "Dangerous dog" means
a. A dog that:
1. Without provocation has killed or inflicted severe injury on a person; or
2. Is determined by the person or Board designated by the county or municipal authority responsible for animal control to be potentially dangerous because the dog has engaged in one or more of the behaviors listed in subdivision (2) of this subsection.
b. Any dog owned or harbored primarily or in part for the purpose of dog fighting, or any dog trained for dog fighting.
(2) "Potentially dangerous dog" means a dog that the person or Board designated by the county or municipal authority responsible for animal control determines to have:
a. Inflicted a bite on a person that resulted in broken bones or disfiguring lacerations or required cosmetic surgery or hospitalization; or
b. Killed or inflicted severe injury upon a domestic animal when not on the owner's real property; or
c. Approached a person when not on the owner's property in a vicious or terrorizing manner in an apparent attitude of attack.
(3) "Owner" means any person or legal entity that has a possessory property right in a dog.
(4) "Owner's real property" means any real property owned or leased by the owner of the dog, but does not include any public right-of-way or a common area of a condominium, apartment complex, or townhouse development.
(5) "Severe injury" means any physical injury that results in broken bones or disfiguring lacerations or required cosmetic surgery or hospitalization.
(b) The provisions of this Article do not apply to:
(1) A dog being used by a law enforcement officer to carry out the law enforcement officer's official duties;
(2) A dog being used in a lawful hunt;
(3) A dog where the injury or damage inflicted by the dog was sustained by a domestic animal while the dog was working as a hunting dog, herding dog, or predator control dog on the property of, or under the control of, its owner or keeper, and the damage or injury was to a species or type of domestic animal appropriate to the work of the dog; or
(4) A dog where the injury inflicted by the dog was sustained by a person who, at the time of the injury, was committing a willful trespass or other tort, was tormenting, abusing, or assaulting the dog, had tormented, abused, or assaulted the dog, or was committing or attempting to commit a crime.
(c) The county or municipal authority responsible for animal control shall designate a person or a Board to be responsible for determining when a dog is a "potentially dangerous dog" and shall designate a separate Board to hear any appeal. The person or Board making the determination that a dog is a "potentially dangerous dog" must notify the owner in writing, giving the reasons for the determination, before the dog may be considered potentially dangerous under this Article. The owner may appeal the determination by filing written objections with the appellate Board within three days. The appellate Board shall schedule a hearing within 10 days of the filing of the objections.
Any appeal from the final decision of such appellate Board shall be taken to the superior court by filing notice of appeal and a petition for review within 10 days of the final decision of the appellate Board. Appeals from rulings of the appellate Board shall be heard in the superior court division. The appeal shall be heard de novo before a superior court judge sitting in the county in which the appellate Board whose ruling is being appealed is located.
Added by Laws 1989 (Reg. Sess., 1990), c. 1023, § 1.

§ 67-4.2. Precautions against attacks by dangerous dogs
(a) It is unlawful for an owner to:
(1) Leave a dangerous dog unattended on the owner's real property unless the dog is confined indoors, in a securely enclosed and locked pen, or in another structure designed to restrain the dog;
(2) Permit a dangerous dog to go beyond the owner's real property unless the dog is leashed and muzzled or is otherwise securely restrained and muzzled.
(b) If the owner of a dangerous dog transfers ownership or possession of the dog to another person (as defined in G.S. 12-3(6)), the owner shall provide written notice to:
(1) The authority that made the determination under this Article, stating the name and address of the new owner or possessor of the dog; and
(2) The person taking ownership or possession of the dog, specifying the dog's dangerous behavior and the authority's determination.
(c) Violation of this section is a Class 3 misdemeanor.
Added by Laws 1989 (Reg. Sess., 1990), c. 1023, § 1. Amended by Laws 1993, c. 539, § 532; Laws 1994 (1st Ex. Sess.), c. 24, § 14(c), eff. March 26, 1994.

§ 67-4.3. Penalty for attacks by dangerous dogs
The owner of a dangerous dog that attacks a person and causes physical injuries requiring medical treatment in excess of one hundred dollars ($100.00) shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
Added by Laws 1989 (Reg. Sess., 1990), c. 1023, § 1. Amended by Laws 1993, c. 539, § 533; Laws 1994 (1st Ex. Sess.), c. 24, § 14(c), eff. March 26, 1994.

§ 67-4.4. Strict liability
The owner of a dangerous dog shall be strictly liable in civil damages for any injuries or property damage the dog inflicts upon a person, his property, or another animal.

Chapter 67. Dogs. Article 1. Owner's Liability.

§ 67-1. Liability for injury to livestock or fowls
If any dog, not being at the time on the premises of the owner or person having charge thereof, shall kill or injure any livestock or fowls, the owner or person having such dog in charge shall be liable for damages sustained by the injury, killing, or maiming of any livestock, and costs of suit.

§ 67-31. Powers and duties of dog warden
The powers and duties of the county dog warden shall be as follows:
(1) He shall have the power of arrest and be responsible for the enforcement within his county of all public and public-local laws pertaining to the ownership and control of dogs, and shall cooperate with all other law-enforcement officers operating within the county in fulfilling this responsibility.
(2) In those counties having a rabies control officer, the county dog warden shall act as assistant to the rabies control officer, working under the supervision of the county health department, to collect the dog tax. In those counties having no rabies control officer, the county dog warden shall serve as rabies control officer.
Amended by Laws 1951, c. 931, § 2.
There is a dangerous dog committe
http://www.harnett.org/boards/detail.asp?id=36

http://www.lillingtonnc.com/downloads/Title IX. Chapter 90. Municipal Animal Control.pdf

this a link to the ordinances for harnett co and the cities they all use the nc state ordinances

You have to push this issue alot even if it means calling the sherrif directly, calling your county commissioners and calling the news station
there

Back
Top Bottom