1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help with dosage rates please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tls_ranch, Dec 12, 2010.

1. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

I have a pullet that was attacked by a dog yesterday see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=428677

I
    cleaned the wound again this morning and used triple antibiotic ointment on it. It's about a 1 inch cut. She also has a few other small puncture marks. But, the cut now looks infected tonight. All I have on hand are some Azithromycin 250mg tablets for humans. What would the dosage rate be for a 6-7 pound chicken?

I can also go to the feed store tomorrow and try to find another antibiotic... If the azithromycin won't work. Which would be the best without a vet Rx?

Thanks,
    Trisha

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    For a wound, i would go for injectable penicillin. Not sure about the dosage though.

3. lambchicks

lambchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    North Carolina
    I saw neosporin recommended the other day for a topical type thing, but the kind with out the pain releif.

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Hi, How's your chicken doing? I like to use Lincomycin, streptomycin water soluble powder at 1/4 teaspoon in a quart of water.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  6. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

Thank you for the advice [​IMG] I'm going to get some penicillin for her. She seems to be doing better and at least she's eating/drinking. The wound on her back still looks like it's getting infected even with the neosporin. The other pullet is back with the flock and acting almost normal except for she kind of looks like she's moulting with huge patches of feathers missing. You wouldn't believe how these girls were tossed and played with like they were toys. Yet they are still alive [​IMG] There are piles of feathers scattered everywhere...I lucked out it could of been my whole flock. I'm going to have a serious "talk" with the neighbors about their dogs.

Here's a picture of the pullet with the wound from a few days before the attack. She's a project cross that I hatched from eggs from another breeder who started the project. She's 3/4 Barnevelder, 1/4 show quality dark cornish. I hope she makes it, I was really hoping to hatch some eggs from her to see how her size, growth, hybrid vigor and lacing carry on to the next generation.

[​IMG]

her lacing is amazing and the feather texture is unreal...almost like satin.

[​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    She is certainly a beautiful hen! As far as the infected cut goes, try some betadine diluted with water (like tea.) Gently clean it with the diluted betadine about 3-4 times a day and see if that helps....the puncture wounds as well.

8. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Your hen is so very beautiful. I hope she does well with treatment.

I don't know if this will help or not, but maybe for future reference ....

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by