Need help with Duckling who can't walk

naturallyhorses

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2020
I have a duckling who is now 6 weeks old and started having trouble walking at 2 weeks old. She has gone down hill since ,progressively getting worse. I have been giving niacin and b complex along with a number of other supplements. initially she got better then after two days regressed. then started to be able to walk with assistance then one day overnight regressed again and would hold her left leg up in the air when I would hold her. she can put weight on it when she wants to but won't if I am touching her. took her to a vet. x ray did not show anything broken. did a stool sample and chlamydial sample and everything came back clear. vet thinks it's neurological but no answers as to what it could be. her body now seems twisted when she stands but wasn't before last week. She is currently on metacam for pain and doxycycline. She was swimming a lot at first but she can't preen herself so she gets waterlogged very quickly. I can't spend thousands of dollars on a vet( already spent $500 with no real answers) Could really use some help or advice from those who may have had similar experiences.

I have no idea what could be wrong with your duck, but I wanted to offer my sympathies for her illness. :hugs I hope she recovers.

Thank you for responding! It is heartbreaking to see her struggle. I want to give her every chance to live a great life. It's hard not knowing what is wrong.

Thanks.I have not. I honestly wouldn't know how to . earlier when it first started happening we tried bonding her legs together but that did not go well. We built her a wheelchair but she won't put her legs on the ground when in it and tries to get out of it often. I try to work her leg and encourage her to put it down when I'm holding her but I can't get her to stay like that for long.

Welcome to BYC. Sorry, she's having problems.

Is this vet familiar with poultry?

Would you be able to upload a video of the duckling to a video platform like Youtube or Vimeo and copy/paste the link here?

What are you feeding her, what is she being housed on/in, what brand of niacin supplements have you been using, and at what dosages?

What breed is this duckling?

It was an avian vet. said to have experience with ducks. She is getting organic duck starter crumbles. I am giving her solgars niacin powder. they are 500 mg capsules. I don't know the exact doseage. I sprinkle about a quarter of the capsule. I also give her s teaspoon of brewers yeast or nutritional yeast a day. I give her nutridrench, vit b complex for pets, oregano oil, I was giving vet rx.She gets frozen peas, a scrambled egg and a variety of berries depending on what I have on hand. She also gets a vit e with selenium capsule, morning bird thrive, vit d, poultry probiotics, poultry brewers yeast with garlic,poultry kelp
I even tried giving her colloidal silver.
She is a pekin duck, currently in my house, in a box, with chopped straw bedding.

Could you post a video of her, and please tell us a rough dose, mg per gallon, and a picture of the brand?

The reason I'm so adamant of seeing the brand name is that some are labeled as flush free, time-released, extended-release, etc. They go out of their system too fast and don't get absorbed as well /at all.

1597497982085.png

Back
Top Bottom