Need Help with Fly Strike-WARNING GRAPHIC PICTURES-NECropsy added

I just found time to look for this thread, Karen. When Suede was dying two years ago and his poop was very runny and seemed to burn his skin, he got a minor/superficial fly strike and since my friend had just had a hen with a major fly strike, I knew what to do, per advice of her own vet. If this happens in the future, fill a sink with warm water and put the bird in it so the water covers the wound. Might even add some epsom salts to it. The maggots will leave the wound trying to get out of the water. And then you'd pick out any remaining you can find and slather the wound with triple antibiotic ointment.

Fly strikes are easy to encounter in warm weather when they are ill and have runny poop that coats their bums badly. I keep checking my Buff Orpington, Hope, for them because her bum is always messy.

If the infection that is causing the ascites is a salpingitis infection (internal laying), it is ecoli, which will not respond to penicillin. And usually, it really will not respond to anything. In addition to the fluids, there could be those masses in her oviducts and abdomen, or she could simply have a reproductive cancer and the body is retaining fluids because of failing liver and heart. It's not easy to deal with, you know how many times I've been there.

I'll try that. She's not doing well. Keeps her eyes closed and doesn't respond to noise, her legs hang if I pick her up, ascities, . I'll soak her bottom and tube her. Or maybe I should just leave her in peace. What do you all think?
If she were mine I would bring her inside and and make sure she;s warm enough (80-85 is ideal), then I would tube some warmed Gatorade, Pedialyte or plain water to her (30-60ml). I'd also give her some corn syrup (2-3ml) and Baytril (0.2ml per 2.2 pounds). In your original post you say she's thin, so I suspect that the flystrike is secondary to something else more severe. If she has ascites, you might be able to buy her more time by draining the fluid.

-Kathy

If nothing else, you will make her feel more comfortable by removing excess fluid, though at times, in the past, when I've tried to drain a hen with a huge belly, the pressure can push on her crop and other organs and she will seem to be choking so we have to stop and let her catch her breath; draining the hen can literally kill her rather than help her in that case. Often, near the end stages, they'll have fluid in their lungs as well as throughout the body.

When we drained Hope, who has never liked to be handled, I wrapped her wings in a towel and sort of stood her on the outside picnic table on our deck, put my arms around her and talked into her ear to keep her calm while DH operated the needle from behind her. She sank down onto her haunches, but it was easier for her than the usual way we'd done things in the past-she's a huge bird, though there is zero meat on her keel. That kept me from pressing on her abdomen and causing more pain than I was trying to alleviate.

She's been sleeping and not responding to voice or noise, just touch. Kathy, it's been above 85 degrees here. She has a fan during the day.

I've given her 2 doses of pen g and Baytril 0.2 ml, and an aspirin.

If she's still alive in the morning, I'll tube more and think about tapping her belly while she's alive. How much can I tube at one time? She's a Jersey but skinny now.

Cynthia, I think you're right that some illness caused her poo to attract flies. After scraping all the outer layer off to blood, I can't say it looked infected.

I guess that's what I have to look forward to as they age.

How much does a skinny Jersey weigh, cause I think 0.2ml of Baytril is not enough for a hen that size, even a skinny one. As for fluids, if she can sit up she can have probably at least 60ml every 4-6 hours as long as it clears her crop. My little RIR hen has already been tubed twice today at 60ml per feeding. After giving fluids you should feel a slight bump in their crop, so give 10-30, check crop, repeat until you can feel the fluid in there.

-Kathy

Unfortunately bitterants such as bitter apple don't seem to work well on birds; they seem to lack the receptors to be sensitive to the bitter 'flavor' that makes these products effective for mammals. As long as the hen doesn't pick her own wound, it might be best to isolate her so that the others can not pick it until she heals.

There are varying opinions upon the subject of taste receptors. Years ago it was believed chickens had no sense of taste despite what scientists found as taste buds at the base of a chicken's tongue. This is why palatable feed is as important as healthy balanced feed. If birds don't like the taste of something, or is unattractive, they won't eat it. Perhaps it has more to do with scent rather than taste since chickens have an acute sense of smell. I've noticed birds reject water containing more bitter tasting vitamin supplements. I've used Pick-No-More, Vet's Best, and Bitter Apple, and the latter two repelled picking in those situations more than the spiciness of Pick-No-More. Over the years, I've found probiotic powders to offset the bitterness of many vitamin supplements.
Here's a few interesting links:
http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/ChickenSense/ChickenSense.html

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/the_scientific_chicken/

http://polloplayer.wordpress.com/2009/10/08/do-chickens-have-taste-buds/

Last edited:
I'm very sorry to hear about Henrietta, I hope she starts to do a bit better :(
I had a bunny who was a little overweight and couldn't clean himself very well who had fly strike a couple of times. I used to use a spray during the summer that was specifically for that and was a preventative. I'm not sure if it could be used on fowl but I will look into it.
I also trim bums during the summer.

I'm thinking about you all xx

Sorry to say that Henrietta crossed over Rainbow Bridge. Must have been peaceful because her head was tucked in her wing. I drew some fluid from her abdomen, and I can feel something round at one side of her belly that's not on the other.

I really appreciate all your kind and helpful words on this thread.

I did read last night that the most common reason for a hen to die is peritonitis, egg yolk peritonitis. The reason being that the vent and cloaca are very close together and sometimes e.coli infection.

Back
Top Bottom