need help with fowl pox...

LindsayB

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2008
Cypress, Texas
I had a post on here a few days ago asking how my 2 hens got scabs all over their faces...well 'we' figured out it was fowl pox...I took someones advice and bought avia2000 from mcmurray (by the way it turns the water brown! gross! lol) All of my girls now have scabs on their faces (all 4 of them) and the one that started the whole thing now has them on her feet! I can tell its really starting to bother her too b/c when she walks she stops alot...then tucks one foot up for a while...takes another step and picks the other one up...I have been applying neosporin to all the scabs on everyone about 3 times a day...Is there anything else I can do? They are still eating great (I have been giving them cooked eggs and fruit as well as their regular feed) If ya'll can think of anything let me know! I really don't want to lose them!!!

Iodine, Black Shoe Polish and even the big felt tipped magic markers will dry the scabs, In a couple of weeks they'll be like brand new, unless its complicated by the wet form which effects the inside of the mouth, throat,crop and possibly farther down, basicly all you can do is let it run its course..scraping the scabs spreads it..You might want to think about vaccination from now on out...

I thought once they had this disease once then they can never get it again?? they have the dry form, but I had no idea it could spread to their feet! thanks for your advice!

The scabs will form anywhere an infected mosquito can bite them..And true they will become immune..I was meaning if you raised more babies or got other chickens

You can spread it also if you don't wash your hands or clean your shoes after handling the chickens.

You can go somewhere and bring it along with you.

I recommend you getting a kitty litter box and putting disinfectant & water in it to rinse your feet before and after you work with your birds until they are all healed up.

I have these "foot bathes" in my coops to clean my shoes in case I bring something in on my shoes or to prevent spread of possible infection from one coop to another.

Back
Top Bottom