Need help with Goldfish

Kneedles

Songster
7 Years
Jul 22, 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
Today I bought a bronze shubunkin as company for my only goldfish (the sole survivor of a group that lived in my pond for a period of time that I am not sure of; currently living in a tank). From what I can see, the shubunkin is not doing very well; it is not moving very quickly and is constantly facing upwards. I have a feeling that this is because the water in the tank is too cold. Should I raise the temperature of the water in the tank, or not? If so, what should the temperature be?
Thanks in advance.

Today I bought a bronze shubunkin as company for my only goldfish (the sole survivor of a group that lived in my pond for a period of time that I am not sure of; currently living in a tank). From what I can see, the shubunkin is not doing very well; it is not moving very quickly and is constantly facing upwards. I have a feeling that this is because the water in the tank is too cold. Should I raise the temperature of the water in the tank, or not? If so, what should the temperature be?
Thanks in advance.

Before you adjust the temperature, what is the current temperature of the tank? Goldfish are a coldwater fish. Temperatures for tropicals will stress a goldfsh.

How big is your tank? What is your filtration system? Golfish need to be overfiltered when they're in a tank, and need larger tanks. The stocking rule of thumb for fancy goldfish is 20 gallons for the first fish, and 10 gallons for goldfish thereafter. And again, that tank needs a bigger filter than recommended for that tank size.

Did you quarantine the new fish? I am guessing not. What are you feeding? When was the last time you fed?

Before you adjust the temperature, what is the current temperature of the tank? Goldfish are a coldwater fish. Temperatures for tropicals will stress a goldfsh.

How big is your tank? What is your filtration system? Golfish need to be overfiltered when they're in a tank, and need larger tanks. The stocking rule of thumb for fancy goldfish is 20 gallons for the first fish, and 10 gallons for goldfish thereafter. And again, that tank needs a bigger filter than recommended for that tank size.

Did you quarantine the new fish? I am guessing not. What are you feeding? When was the last time you fed?
Aquaculture is not a major interest of mine, so I know little about the details involved.
I have yet to check the current temperature of the tank, and have not used a heater. The fish are kept in an LV-418 aquarium. The tank is constantly filtered, but I know nothing other than that.
I did not know that I had to keep the fish in quarantine prior to keeping it with my original fish, but I would not have had anywhere to keep it. All I am feeding them is flakes, which I last fed to them yesterday. There is oxygen weed in their tank, but to my understanding, goldfish are incapable of eating it.

Aquaculture is not a major interest of mine, so I know little about the details involved.
I have yet to check the current temperature of the tank, and have not used a heater. The fish are kept in an LV-418 aquarium. The tank is constantly filtered, but I know nothing other than that.
I did not know that I had to keep the fish in quarantine prior to keeping it with my original fish, but I would not have had anywhere to keep it. All I am feeding them is flakes, which I last fed to them yesterday. There is oxygen weed in their tank, but to my understanding, goldfish are incapable of eating it.

While I am unfamiliar with that particular tank, a quick google search shows that your tank is likely between 11 and 15 gallons in capacity. Can you take some measurements (length, width and height) so we can narrow down the tank size?

Using those measurements your tank holds about 38.88 liters or 10.27 US gallons -- which is insufficient for keeping even one of the fish you have.
Are you seriously telling me that a tank of that size is too small for a pair of goldfish that are, at most, 10cm long?
If that is the case, then why are the tanks that larger numbers of them are kept in in pet shops smaller than that?
If they are not going to stay in the tank, then the only other option is to deposit them in my pond, where they are unlikely to last more than a month.

Are you seriously telling me that a tank of that size is too small for a pair of goldfish that are, at most, 10cm long?
If that is the case, then why are the tanks that larger numbers of them are kept in in pet shops smaller than that?
If they are not going to stay in the tank, then the only other option is to deposit them in my pond, where they are unlikely to last more than a month.

Yes, I am.
For the same reason many other animals are kept under less than optimal conditions - in pet shop settings intentional overcrowding is used to maximize inventory and, in many species, to reduce aggression (yes, seems counter-intuitive, but it works). Pet store set ups are not long-term housing setups, the fish are meant to be there for a period of days/weeks, not for their lifetime - which, by the way, would be significantly shortened if they were maintained in such a way long-term. In non pet store settings where fish are kept in inappropriate setups it is generally due to ignorance or having knowledge but not caring to do better.

I don't think it will be water temperature as like the previous poster said they are a cold water fish.

I do find that mine need extra air in the water in the form of an airstone or something similar. When it stops working for whatever reason the fish don't seem as happy, and the smaller the tank the more important it is. You can pick them up very cheaply on eBay.

When did you last do a 1/3 water change? If it's been a while the water quality change from pet shop perfect may have been too big a shock for the new fish. Many pet shops let you take a water sample in to be tested for free so you can see if your water quality needs help. Goldfish poop a lot and need constant water changes. Your existing fish may have adapted to the point he survives rather than thrives but a new fish being put in suddenly will easily drop dead. So think my first line of investigation would be find out if it's your water.

Last edited:
Yes, I am.
For the same reason many other animals are kept under less than optimal conditions - in pet shop settings intentional overcrowding is used to maximize inventory and, in many species, to reduce aggression (yes, seems counter-intuitive, but it works). Pet store set ups are not long-term housing setups, the fish are meant to be there for a period of days/weeks, not for their lifetime - which, by the way, would be significantly shortened if they were maintained in such a way long-term. In non pet store settings where fish are kept in inappropriate setups it is generally due to ignorance or having knowledge but not caring to do better.
Could you show me the sort of tank that I should be using, then?

I don't think it will be water temperature as like the previous poster said they are a cold water fish.

I do find that mine need extra air in the water in the form of an airstone or something similar. When it stops working for whatever reason the fish don't seem as happy, and the smaller the tank the more important it is. You can pick them up very cheaply on eBay.

When did you last do a 1/3 water change? If it's been a while the water quality change from pet shop perfect may have been too big a shock for the new fish. Many pet shops let you take a water sample in to be tested for free so you can see if your water quality needs help. Goldfish poop a lot and need constant water changes. Your existing fish may have adapted to the point he survives rather than thrives but a new fish being put in suddenly will easily drop dead. So think my first line of investigation would be find out if it's your water.
I have never changed their water. I would if I could, but the tank is heavy to the point of being extremely difficult to carry, and I do not own the equipment to execute the water change in a more easy way.
Approximately half of the water that is in the tank comes from my pond, so I can understand why the new fish is not used to it.

Back
Top Bottom