Need help with gosling

carolina91

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 5, 2013
I have a less than day old gosling that has been bitten by ants. Our goose took two new babies for a walk and we decided to check the nest. We thought she had squashed a gosling and we're preparing to bury the baby when we realized, it was barely breathing and had been bitten. We cleaned her off, warmed her up and put her in the incubator. That was an hour ago and she is still breathing. Does anyone have experience with geese and ant bites. Can you suggest anything?

Also, I went a little crazy with the diatomaceous earth while cleaning out the goose house. I put her remaining two eggs in the incubator plus the two chicken eggs she had bed sitting on. Cleaned the nest, sprinkled diatomaceous earth over and around the house and then gave her new bedding. We checked our other goose's nest, it seemed okay. I treated it with diatomaceous earth too.

If we hatch the remaining eggs in the incubator, do you think she will take the goslings?

UPDATE - Gone this morning and another one of my geese let a baby wander last night into the rain. He didn't make it either. I don't think there was anything I could have done, but I was hoping she would pull through.

Also, I went a little crazy with the diatomaceous earth while cleaning out the goose house. I put her remaining two eggs in the incubator plus the two chicken eggs she had bed sitting on. Cleaned the nest, sprinkled diatomaceous earth over and around the house and then gave her new bedding. We checked our other goose's nest, it seemed okay. I treated it with diatomaceous earth too.

If we hatch the remaining eggs in the incubator, do you think she will take the goslings?
it might be better that u raise them dealing with how one has already died from her not watching it

it might be better that u raise them dealing with how one has already died from her not watching it
Or wait till the goslings are around 3 weeks old I let my adults have access to the goslings daily by taking them both outside and letting the adults spend time with them but I cared for them till they were 3 weeks old then since they were larger and could handle being outside better I gave them to the parents. They did great. I would take care of any ants beds though and if necessary move the goose house hopefully they have one so you can close them all up at night for their protection.

Or wait till the goslings are around 3 weeks old I let my adults have access to the goslings  daily by taking them both outside and letting the adults spend time with them but I cared for them till they were 3 weeks old then since they were larger and could handle being outside better I gave them to the parents. They did great. I would take care of any ants beds though and if necessary move the goose house hopefully they have one so you can close them all up at night for their protection.

That sounds like a good idea. If they hatch, I will wait to give them to the parents. I dealt with the ant beds. Their house is within a fence made with cattle panels, very sturdy - and we close them up inside every night. In the past, they have been difficult about going inside, but are better now. Coyotes are the predators that worry me the most with my geese. I think we've done a good job, but still worry.

That sounds like a good idea. If they hatch, I will wait to give them to the parents. I dealt with the ant beds. Their house is within a fence made with cattle panels, very sturdy - and we close them up inside every night. In the past, they have been difficult about going inside, but are better now. Coyotes are the predators that worry me the most with my geese. I think we've done a good job, but still worry.
Keep us updated.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom