Need help with Hen with a possible reproductive tract infection.

TerriChick

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2020
Hello, I have a backyard flock of 12 free ranging chickens. My 1 year old leghorn has been been laying odd eggs for about a month some are wrinkled, some are thin shelled, some are extremely small, some are flat on one side, some have been very elongated. She has never had any symptoms of IB andthe rest of the flock is fine. She did have some loose stool. I washed her off and found a small sore by her vent area. I treated it with hen heal and it went away. Thinking she might have an Ovoduct infection? I don’t know how to treat that if that is what it is. Would love to have your opinion. I live in Middle TN and we do not have Vets here that treat poultry. Thank you!

Attachments

• 39B333BA-6A75-4C59-8EFB-FC0ED8F04428.jpeg
    39B333BA-6A75-4C59-8EFB-FC0ED8F04428.jpeg
    954.3 KB · Views: 27
Stress, a problem with the shell gland in the oviduct, and overcrowding seem to be reasons besides IB virus, for many egg shell problems according to this article:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/
Thank you for the link. It had a lot of good info. I don’t think my hen is overly stressed. My flock free range. The coop they stay in at night is large so overcrowding would not be an issue. She has never showed symptoms of IB virus. She has had a few bouts with watery/messy stool.I bathed her and cleaned her feathers. This has lead me to believe she has an infection. I would like to try her on an antibiotic but do not know what type or where to get it. Anyone have a suggestion or even a natural remedy?

For reproductive infections, Aqua Mox amoxicillin is one that is used 125-250 mg twice a day given orally for 10 days. You can find it here:
https://www.allivet.com/p-11632-aqu...MI1rGsts7r8wIVE25vBB2ejgdyEAQYAiABEgKUXPD_BwE

Baytril 10% liquid (Enrofloxacin,) which is banned in chickens due to increasing antibiotic resistance. It is sometimes prescribed for harder to treat infection, because it works well against E.coli infections, one of the most common in reproductive diseases. Dosage is 0.05 ml given twice a day for 5 days. That is 0.25 or 1/4 ml for a 5 pound chicken. It is found here:
https://jedds.com/products/enrofloxacin-10?_pos=1&_sid=9d39a8093&_ss=r

Last edited:
I received the Aqua-Mox 250mg capsules today. Can you please tell me the best way to administer? I was thinking about dissolving it in her drinking water or should I dissolve half a capsule in a small amount of water and put droplets in her mouth with a syringe 2x/day? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Since it is not water soluble, I would mix the contents of a capsule in a small amount of yogurt and give it in a syringe. If she will take it all, hiding it in some scrambled egg, canned cat food, or other treat would work. If she is at least 5 pounds you could give the whole capsule.

Let us know how she gets along.
Hello,
I’ve been meaning to give an update on Pearl and thank you for your advice and help. I administered the Aqua Mox for 10 days by mixing it in a little bit of yogurt and putting it in her beak in small amounts with a syringe. She is doing very well and seems to have recovered. She stopped laying when I put her in quarantine and started giving her the antibiotic. She is now molting but looks much healthier overall. I look forward to seeing if her eggs will be normal in size and shape when she resumes laying again. Thank you again for your help!

Attachments

• 3E64BC69-FE41-4D6E-A89F-8CBC937A6C19.jpeg
    3E64BC69-FE41-4D6E-A89F-8CBC937A6C19.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • A35238BF-E495-441C-A96D-E5F11A6C865E.jpeg
    A35238BF-E495-441C-A96D-E5F11A6C865E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom