need help with humidity! please!

Ariel91

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
Titusville Florida
Okay, I have never heard of this problem before and I couldn't find anything online to help, I'm hoping someone on here can help.

This is my second attempt at incubating eggs. My first was a disaster, I set 42 eggs and 30 made it to lock down (my own eggs, the other 12 were duds, never fertile). Two days after the expected date I finally get a pip and a screaming chick beak. 18 hours later she still hasn't unzipped and I see bubbles coming out of her beak. My husband, mother, and I intervene and unzip and remove the egg cap. Next day she emerges on her own but has the umbilical attached. (A week later she is fine, absorbed everything and is a healthy little piglet of a chick) but no more pips. I candle some and no movement. My mother and I then proceed to preform what we hoped would be rescues but ended up being eggtopsies. All dead, all fully formed, some even had almost all the yolk absorbed. But they were big and not a one was positioned right. We figured that it was because we took the turner out a day too late and chalked it up to a horrible learning experience.

Here comes second attempt, I add water on day one and not a drop after. On day 4 I get this weird feeling so my husband and I go out and get a couple extra humidity gauges. Turned out my humidity is 70-80%! Not a drop of water left in the incubator, both gauges read high, different brands and both new. My digital reader on my incubator reads at 41%. So I decide to go with the two reading of the new gauges and try to get the humidity down. (Note that the windows are wet to the touch and fogged over) The only way I could get it down was to put the lid on at an angle and let fresh air in. Three hours later (the temp stayed between 90 and 100 on both the digital and the backup thermometer) I finally get it between 40-55%. I close the incubator but this morning it's back up to 70-80%! What do I do?

It's a little giant still air incubator, just over a month old, with auto turner. Both red plugs removed, set at 102° with glass stones in the bottom to help regulate heat. I'm on central Fl and it has been storming everyday and the humidity meter reads at 50-60% outside the incubator on a good day. Much higher on a rainy one. The incubator is in a garage that stay plenty warm and has no drafts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I don't want to go through 29 eggtopsies again....

Okay, I have never heard of this problem before and I couldn't find anything online to help, I'm hoping someone on here can help.

This is my second attempt at incubating eggs. My first was a disaster, I set 42 eggs and 30 made it to lock down (my own eggs, the other 12 were duds, never fertile). Two days after the expected date I finally get a pip and a screaming chick beak. 18 hours later she still hasn't unzipped and I see bubbles coming out of her beak. My husband, mother, and I intervene and unzip and remove the egg cap. Next day she emerges on her own but has the umbilical attached. (A week later she is fine, absorbed everything and is a healthy little piglet of a chick) but no more pips. I candle some and no movement. My mother and I then proceed to preform what we hoped would be rescues but ended up being eggtopsies. All dead, all fully formed, some even had almost all the yolk absorbed. But they were big and not a one was positioned right. We figured that it was because we took the turner out a day too late and chalked it up to a horrible learning experience.

Here comes second attempt, I add water on day one and not a drop after. On day 4 I get this weird feeling so my husband and I go out and get a couple extra humidity gauges. Turned out my humidity is 70-80%! Not a drop of water left in the incubator, both gauges read high, different brands and both new. My digital reader on my incubator reads at 41%. So I decide to go with the two reading of the new gauges and try to get the humidity down. (Note that the windows are wet to the touch and fogged over) The only way I could get it down was to put the lid on at an angle and let fresh air in. Three hours later (the temp stayed between 90 and 100 on both the digital and the backup thermometer) I finally get it between 40-55%. I close the incubator but this morning it's back up to 70-80%! What do I do?

It's a little giant still air incubator, just over a month old, with auto turner. Both red plugs removed, set at 102° with glass stones in the bottom to help regulate heat. I'm on central Fl and it has been storming everyday and the humidity meter reads at 50-60% outside the incubator on a good day. Much higher on a rainy one. The incubator is in a garage that stay plenty warm and has no drafts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I don't want to go through 29 eggtopsies again....
First question, have the hygrometers been checked for accuracy? I would do that if it hasn't been done. Next on the list, I would candle and check the air cells, this might ease your mind if you can see how the egg is fairing. If you check the hygrometers and the are accurate and/or check your air cells and they are too small (indicating that the humidity is too high) and you are running dry, you can put a bowl of uncooked rice or unpopped popcorn in the bator to soak up some of the humidity. If you are only on day four there is plenty of time to adjust and make it right.

Now, the first hatch, what you are describing was too high humidity during the incubation. The air cells didn't grow enough which left too much room in the egg so the chicks grew too big and couldn't turn to get into position. The chick with the bubbles had breathed in the extra moisture and would have drowned had you not intervined. That is my observation.

Now, I'm going to give you a link to look over to try to help you with humidity and determining if your air cells are progressing well and how to check, and what to do if they are too big or too small (at days 7/14/18). http://www.pasreform.com/academy/fr...ubation/148-incubation-at-high-altitudes.html
Good luck!!

Last edited:
I have the same incubator. Take the red plugs out for a while keep 1 in and 1 out.normally it works fine if the problem persists take it back to the store.

Incubators are going to work differently in different environments and need dfferent levels of humidity. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the incubator, you just have to learn what works for you. Unless you are going to spend the big dough on the Brinsea incubators, you are going to have to take the time and the trial and error to work out the kinks. It also helps when you learn about and understand the process.

Incubators are going to work differently in different environments and need dfferent levels of humidity. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the incubator, you just have to learn what works for you. Unless you are going to spend the big dough on the Brinsea incubators, you are going to have to take the time and the trial and error to work out the kinks. It also helps when you learn about and understand the process.
. My first ever incubator was a briancea and it broke on day 1

You mentioned that the incubator is in the garage and the ambient humidity is high where you live. I would then assume that air coming into the incubator will contain the ambient moisture thus there would be no need to add water for the first 18 day. Also you say that your incubator is set at 102 degrees, does the thermometer inside the incubator assuming you have one there, does it read the same, 102 degrees? My experience with high temps is that the chick develops faster and hatch earlier, low temps hatch later. Like AmyLynn said, check the air sack to see if it gets larger. I use a pencil to mark the air sack on my eggs, this way I know it increases as the days go by. Good luck with your hatch.

You mentioned that the incubator is in the garage and the ambient humidity is high where you live. I would then assume that air coming into the incubator will contain the ambient moisture thus there would be no need to add water for the first 18 day. Also you say that your incubator is set at 102 degrees, does the thermometer inside the incubator assuming you have one there, does it read the same, 102 degrees? My experience with high temps is that the chick develops faster and hatch earlier, low temps hatch later. Like AmyLynn said, check the air sack to see if it gets larger. I use a pencil to mark the air sack on my eggs, this way I know it increases as the days go by. Good luck with your hatch.
Marking the air cells on days 7/14/18 (lockdown) is the best way to go. Not only does it let you monitor the growth, but it gives you an idea of where they should pip at hatch

Are you running AC in your home right now? If so, that's your solution: Move that bator into the house where the air is dryer. Do the salt test to calibrate your hygrometers. Age of the device, or even how much you spent on it has NOTHING to do with their accuracy. Then, calibrate your thermometers against a good quality medical fever thermometer. (Either digital or bulb.) Most are guaranteed to be accurate to +/- .2*.

Are you running AC in your home right now? If so, that's your solution: Move that bator into the house where the air is dryer. Do the salt test to calibrate your hygrometers. Age of the device, or even how much you spent on it has NOTHING to do with their accuracy. Then, calibrate your thermometers against a good quality medical fever thermometer. (Either digital or bulb.) Most are guaranteed to be accurate to +/- .2*.
Spend the money onthe Brinsea and you'll get a lot better accuracy..lol At least that's what the Brinsea users swear too...lol

Back
Top Bottom