Need Help with Leaking Egg Box

swmalone

Songster
8 Years
Jun 30, 2011
Northern Utah
So my wife and I built a version of the Wichita Cabin Coop but we are having some issues with the egg box leaking. I put composite shingles on the roof of the coop but the top off the egg box is just 1x wood. It is snowing and when I went out to look I noticed water dripping into the egg box from where the hinged portion of the lid connects to the rest of the top of the box. I was worried about this earlier so I used some tape to try to seal it up but still allow me to open the nest box.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I have a broody hen that likes to sit in there a lot at the moment and I know she has to be freezing. I also don't want giant ice cubes forming and bringing down the overall temperature of the coop.

Once it gets light I might try to put some plastic or a tarp over the entire thing temporarily but I would really like a more permanent, functional fix.

Thanks in advance.

Shaun

We used to have a coop with an outside egg box and it had a strip of rubber material stapled over the hinged area- about a 2 inch strip the length of the box plus a little over hang.

I might have to try that and calk around the rubber. It is really windy where I live so the snow gets driven into the littlest cracks. Once my fingers warm up and some of the local places open I will have to see what I can come up with. I have basically been doing the same thing with light weight plastic but it doesn't seem to be holding up to the melting snow.

The coop siding must go over the top of the nesting box lid. In other words the nesting box lid must go under the coop siding. To both examples nesting box roof must be sloped away form the coop

If the edge of the nesting lid butts against the outside part of the siding there will be a gap for rain to get thru.

Last edited:
I used a bicycle tire tube too! I thought I would be the only one :p Its working great, I stapled it and even used it where I open up part of the roof for inside access. No more leaks since I used it!

Without re-building I think I will give the bicycle tubes a try. I like the idea of putting the hinges on the bottom, I would just be worried about snow and rain being blown in around gaps. We get some really good wind where I live.

Without re-building I think I will give the bicycle tubes a try. I like the idea of putting the hinges on the bottom, I would just be worried about snow and rain being blown in around gaps. We get some really good wind where I live.
Just staple it down often on both sides, both on the building and the roof and use the outside part of the tube so you dont have the circular curve.

Back
Top Bottom