Need help with mites really worried what should i do tomorrow?

Augie1

Chirping
Aug 18, 2020
Hello I took in 4 more hens that are molting and have really bad leg mites and skin mites . So bad that one of them is high stepping I put them in the coop last night without checking them. I realized late today so I sprayed all my chickens down with diluted Permethrin spray per instruction. I then dusted the whole coop with permethrin dust but i left the bedding on. I was thinking of dipping the chickens feet in a 50% permethrin and water bath will that kill the leg mites? Should I remove the bedding and clean the coop I don’t want to because to get bedding again it’s about a 11/2 hour drive I will do it if I have to.

Some kinds of mites will live in the coop and only come out to feed on the chickens at night while they are roosting. So getting rid of the bedding is the best way to eradicate them from the coop, in addition to the permethrin treatments. You will need to treat the birds, and clean and treat the coop probably at least 3 times at weekly intervals, to get rid of any that continue to hatch. I would get enough bedding for several changes, to reduce your trips. Without a complete clean out, you may find yourself going in circles trying to get rid of them.
You can also use Elector PSP which is said to get rid of them in one treatment, but is a lot more expensive than permethrin products. The scaly leg mites need to be dealt with, but are less contagious/less likely to spread. They are microscopic and burrow into the scales on the legs and feet. Usually covering them with vegetable oil and then vaseline several times a week will smother them. Continue that until they start looking more normal.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/
https://the-chicken-chick.com/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens/

Some kinds of mites will live in the coop and only come out to feed on the chickens at night while they are roosting. So getting rid of the bedding is the best way to eradicate them from the coop, in addition to the permethrin treatments. You will need to treat the birds, and clean and treat the coop probably at least 3 times at weekly intervals, to get rid of any that continue to hatch. I would get enough bedding for several changes, to reduce your trips. Without a complete clean out, you may find yourself going in circles trying to get rid of them.
You can also use Elector PSP which is said to get rid of them in one treatment, but is a lot more expensive than permethrin products. The scaly leg mites need to be dealt with, but are less contagious/less likely to spread. They are microscopic and burrow into the scales on the legs and feet. Usually covering them with vegetable oil and then vaseline several times a week will smother them. Continue that until they start looking more normal.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/
https://the-chicken-chick.com/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens/

I Soaked all the birds feet in a diluted permethrin bath about 10-25 permethrin. The ones with visible scales damaged i got a toothbrush and went to town. Removed as many scales as possible. Then rubbed them with straight permethrin and then Vetrx and on top of that Vaseline I then moved them in holding coop and added extra protein food because they are molting and add electrolyte and vitamins to the water. Will clean out the whole coop today and spray everything down with permethrin. Hopefully this will do it. The mites are in the comb and eyes is this okay?

Not sure what you mean by "the mites are in the comb and eyes".
Do you have pictures?
Generally you want to soak and clean the legs to remove any dried/hardened detrius from the mites, but not remove/damage scales.

What permethrin product are you using? Each one has mixing instructions for poultry or for treating coops. I am familiar with both Martins or Gordons Permethrin 10 which Tractor Supply sells in 8 ounce and large bottles. I mix it in water according to the inside label instructions. The Ready to use sprays are more expensive to use on coops, but handy. The poultry and garden dust is okay to use on chickens in cold weather.

Back
Top Bottom