Need help with my 6 to 8 year old rooster seems to have a lump under his feet both

Love my alpha

Hatching
Dec 15, 2020
Australia nsw
He has lump under both feet and it's a bigish scab looking thing trying to find out if bumble foot or bad mite
16080600877181925227204743831211.jpg
16080600877181925227204743831211.jpg

Is this bumble foot or bad mite iv seperated him got him inside in a cage with a blanket on the bottom so it's soft now I just need to work out wat it is so I can treat it before it messes his feet up

Ok so I did a bit of reading now I doesn't say there's anywhere close to by vetericyn I can how ever I should be able to get chlorhexidine anticeptic from the chemist if that helps either way toy understanding you need to cut the scab ?? Not real keen on that can I soak it ?? And would parafen oil(mineral oil ) break done the scab like it does the mite stuff they get on there legs/scales

I've never treated it before, I'm sorry. It's not necessarily a death sentence.
Go to the top of the site, click the magnifying glass and search bumble foot treatment

Looks like a case of bumblefoot. I've treated many instances successfully, but it requires time and patience. If left untreated, it may result in infection that can travel from the foot to the rest of the body, so it's good you caught it.

There are many methods to treat. Many sources I've come across talk about cutting out the plug (black surface you see plus hardened yellow pus beneath it). Instead, I prefer to soak both feet in epsom salt + warm water (half cup of epsom salt for every 6-8 cups of water) for 20-30min and repeat daily or once every two days for about two weeks. The idea is to draw out infection, soften the plug, and slowly pull pieces of it away.

After each soak, I disinfect the foot with rubbing alcohol (70%) and do the same to a pair of tweezers. I'll then use the tweezers to carefully pull away loosened / softened parts of the plug. It's very easy to cause bleeding / opening a (new) wound, which you'll want to avoid.

After soaking / chipping away at the plug, I disinfect the foot and tweezers again. I'll also apply Neosporin to the affected areas before wrapping in gauze and flexible first aid tape.

You probably have most of the items you'll need at home already. I was able to pick up everything I needed from a local CVS (including epsom salt, gauze, first aid tape) to treat my first case of bumblefoot.

Ok
Looks like a case of bumblefoot. I've treated many instances successfully, but it requires time and patience. If left untreated, it may result in infection that can travel from the foot to the rest of the body, so it's good you caught it.

There are many methods to treat. Many sources I've come across talk about cutting out the plug (black surface you see plus hardened yellow pus beneath it). Instead, I prefer to soak both feet in epsom salt + warm water (half cup of epsom salt for every 6-8 cups of water) for 20-30min and repeat daily or once every two days for about two weeks. The idea is to draw out infection, soften the plug, and slowly pull pieces of it away.

After each soak, I disinfect the foot with rubbing alcohol (70%) and do the same to a pair of tweezers. I'll then use the tweezers to carefully pull away loosened / softened parts of the plug. It's very easy to cause bleeding / opening a (new) wound, which you'll want to avoid.

After soaking / chipping away at the plug, I disinfect the foot and tweezers again. I'll also apply Neosporin to the affected areas before wrapping in gauze and flexible first aid tape.

You probably have most of the items you'll need at home already. I was able to pick up everything I needed from a local CVS (including epsom salt, gauze, first aid tape) to treat my first case of bumblefoot.
Ok thank you so much for the reply I'm not feeling so dreded now I know he should be all right now iv notest that some things are differnt in different country's example we don't have mineral oil we have parafen oil but same thing so I'm not sure wat neosporin is. can I do all the steps of the soaking cause I don't like the sound of cutting out the scab an core then apply raw honey as the antibacterial layer between wound and wrap instead of neosporin or does it do more than be a antibacterial anti fungal

Ok

Ok thank you so much for the reply I'm not feeling so dreded now I know he should be all right now iv notest that some things are differnt in different country's example we don't have mineral oil we have parafen oil but same thing so I'm not sure wat neosporin is. can I do all the steps of the soaking cause I don't like the sound of cutting out the scab an core then apply raw honey as the antibacterial layer between wound and wrap instead of neosporin or does it do more than be a antibacterial anti fungal

Neosporin is an antibacterial cream used on wounds. You can probably find something similar that's safe to use. Be careful about which one you use. For example, I've read that "-caine" pain-killer ingredients should be avoided since they can be deadly to chickens.

As for the soak, I'd suggest using tweezers to "loosen" the scab and plug after each soak. You don't need to cut unless the infection is spreading. From my experience, over time, the scab and plug become so loose they pull right out.

Usually, you can tell if there is an infection by feeling around. If the feet or parts of the upper leg are hot to the touch, you probably have an infection and may need to act more swiftly (cutting, administering antibiotics).

To prevent future cases of bumblefoot, remove sharp objects that they can step on / cut their feet on and remove high perches and places they can jump off of. Also, inspect feet periodically as bumblefoot is easier to treat the earlier you catch it.

Back
Top Bottom