Need Help with my baby pheasants!

quaildale1

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2017
I have had around 30 baby pheasants hatched about 10 a week and i move them in a cage with a heat light wood shavings, quail, and baby chicks and then they act fine for a week and then i go check on them and theres always 3 or 4 laying straight out dead. I have had some handicap ones too they do fine for a week and then i walk in and its like there gasping for air and then they just die on me. Im just not having any luck with them i have only about 8 left out of 30 and i just wanna know your opinions.

How old are all the birds in the brooder?
How large is the area?
How hot is the brooder?(doubt it's temp due to the fact that they aren't all dying at once)
What are you feeding them?
What kind of shavings are you using?

Put chick electrolytes and minerals in the water. And post a picture of your set up. Gasping is normal when they are stressed or hurt.

i move them in a cage with a heat light wood shavings, quail, and baby chicks

Wood shaving - I'm not sure if its true but many people are saying cedar shaving have aromatic oil that are bad for animals. Go for pine. Also, shaving are small enough for them to eat. Eating any wood shaving is bad and they will eat it as they explore their brooder. Maybe causing the gasping.

Quail - I find quails can be super mean. Idk why you would put newly hatched anything with quails.

Baby chicks - putting different age chicks together isn't the best idea. Older chicks will harm newly hatched chicks even if it's unintentional. They are curious and will peck at the toes and beak, step on, walk/run over, stand on top of the newer chicks. I have seen it happen to chicks who were born a few days late and aren't as mobile as the others yet.

Wood shaving - I'm not sure if its true but many people are saying cedar shaving have aromatic oil that are bad for animals. Go for pine. Also, shaving are small enough for them to eat. Eating any wood shaving is bad and they will eat it as they explore their brooder. Maybe causing the gasping.

Quail - I find quails can be super mean. Idk why you would put newly hatched anything with quails.

Baby chicks - putting different age chicks together isn't the best idea. Older chicks will harm newly hatched chicks even if it's unintentional. They are curious and will peck at the toes and beak, step on, walk/run over, stand on top of the newer chicks. I have seen it happen to chicks who were born a few days late and aren't as mobile as the others yet.

Wood shavings in general aren't good to brood on because they hold water and are dusty. Cedar is toxic to most animals so those type of shavings shouldn't be used.

I use hardwood shavings in my brooders. Not dusty like pine and have a earthy odor. After getting their first feathers, I transfer them to hardware clothed bottom brooders.

Back
Top Bottom